The attitudes of British muslims and non-muslims toward each other

I`m aware that a lot of the immigrants in Leicester were asylum seekers from Idi Amins uganda. I used the word "Asian" merely because I`m a lazy toad. I`m no longer living in Leicester, but I have to say that when I was working there, I rarely had any problem with anyone there even though I was in a job that could be considered unpopular. (Parking attendant, Traffic warden).

Its a very laid-back city.

joe that sounds excellent ........proper multiculturism in action :)

I note that you use the adjective 'proper' in relation to 'multiculturalism' here. Unfortunately, this is the very reverse of the institutionalised 'multiculturalism' which is the predominant and most influential form of this doctrine in the UK. The latter promotes the divisive doctrines of 'ethnic rights' (with the exception of the 'ethnic rights' of the majority), separate identities and a culture of victimhood and a hypersensitivity to ethnic slights (real or imagined). Joe's curry parties, with their politically incorrect banter and badinage, wouldn't last two minutes if the zealots in the multiculturalism industry got to hear of them. The inter-communal dialogue which the mainstream multiculturalists trumpet so loudly as a central feature of their doctrine is in fact a legitimising device, superimposed on an ideology promoting division, fragmentation and resentment rather than the relaxed, tolerant and wholly admirable social bonding and harmony resulting from Joe's informal gatherings.

I note that you use the adjective 'proper' in relation to 'multiculturalism' here. Unfortunately, this is the very reverse of the institutionalised 'multiculturalism which is the predominant and most influential form of this doctrine in the UK at the moment. The latter promotes the divisive doctrines of 'ethnic rights' (with the exception of the 'ethnic rights' of the majority), separate identities and a culture of victimhood and a hypersensitivity to ethnic slights (real or imagined). Joe's curry parties wouldn't last two minutes if the zealots in the multiculturalism industry got to hear of them. The inter-communal dialogue which the mainstream multiculturalists trumpet so loudly as a central feature of their doctrine is in fact a legitimising device, superimposed on an ideology promoting division, fragmentation and resentment rather than the relaxed, tolerant and wholly admirable social bonding and harmony resulting from Joe's informal gatherings.

out of all those big words i picked out the ones that i agree with :P

"separate identities and a culture of victimhood and a hypersensitivity to ethnic slights"

yeah in multicultural britain currently we live side by side

thats about it.

we dont learn about each others cultures / lives

A significant majority viewed western populations as selfish, arrogant, greedy and immoral. Just over half said westerners were violent. While the overwhelming majority of European Muslims said westerners were respectful of women, fewer than half British Muslims agreed.

This part is odd. I would wager maybe many non-Muslims would agree with these things too? We are always hearing on the forum people saying we live in a disrespectful arrogant self interested times.

This part is odd. I would wager maybe many non-Muslims would agree with these things too? We are always hearing on the forum people saying we live in a disrespectful arrogant self interested times.

its called capitalism

it breeds hate and selfishness trying to reach the top and gather as much dosh as they can

its called capitalism

it breeds hate and selfishness trying to reach the top and gather as much dosh as they can

Perhaps...I think its lots of things. Changing work patterns and shifting global capital. The 'technological age'..people moving around much more and not being in such solid nuclear families with their jobs for life. Something like Durkheims anomie?

Its probably all too much for a Saturday morning anyway :)

Perhaps...I think its lots of things. Changing work patterns and shifting global capital. The 'technological age'..people moving around much more and not being in such solid nuclear families with their jobs for life. Something like Durkheims anomie?

Its probably all too much for a Saturday morning anyway :)

yeah but arent all those a result of capitalism too?

:P

sorry

yeah i need some dinner really :P

The full report from which the Guardian picked just a few details ca be found here...

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=253

and what is surprising. and seems to have surprised Muslims too, is the small scale of the backlash against Muslims following the 7/7 and 21/7 bombings.

Joep offers a valid argument about the 'socio-economic' situation, but of course the numbers of poor, unskilled and disaffected individuals in Muslim communities is quite a bit higher than in the general UK population.

How well the disaffection is exploited is illustrated in yet another article from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,,1804936,00.html

It would be interesting to see the socio-economic breakdown of the groups questioned. I would think that just as the poor, unskilled disaffected whites tend to be targetted by the far-right, it's quite posisble that teh similar group in Muslim communities are targetted by their head bangers.

Joe

Hi Joe, I believe this to be true. Disaffected, unskilled call it what you want, but is this down to being uneducated. I believe that education is incredibly important and that if people can fend for themselves in the big wide world they would not search for something to clutch hold of to stop them sinking. Most trouble emanates from the uneducated, they hate what they dont understand and feel belittled by anyone who shows intelligence. They will vandalise rather than create something similar, they will put down as "boring" anything they dont understand and they stick together like glue because they dont feel intimidated within their own social class. I am not knocking them, just trying to put forward my point about education being a major cause of these problems, whether black, white or asian.

Hi Joe, I believe this to be true. Disaffected, unskilled call it what you want, but is this down to being uneducated. I believe that education is incredibly important and that if people can fend for themselves in the big wide world they would not search for something to clutch hold of to stop them sinking. Most trouble emanates from the uneducated, they hate what they dont understand and feel belittled by anyone who shows intelligence. They will vandalise rather than create something similar, they will put down as "boring" anything they dont understand and they stick together like glue because they dont feel intimidated within their own social class. I am not knocking them, just trying to put forward my point about education being a major cause of these problems, whether black, white or asian.

true

but then you do get the educated ones...........who become the ringleaders of extreme groups and recruit the cannonfodder

Archived