The attitudes of British muslims and non-muslims toward each other

One of the Pakistani men contributed with the most arrogant statment I have heard for a long time, he said 'You can believe what you like,as long as you believe something, in that case we do not mind'

Actually, I don't get why you think this was an arrogant comment. Ok, I don't get why the guy used 'we'. Who did he mean by 'we' ?

We as in his ethnic group ?

We as in those who are religious ?

We as in every UK citizen ?

We as in people in the immediate group on that day ?

Actually, I don't get why you think this was an arrogant comment. Ok, I don't get why the guy used 'we'. Who did he mean by 'we' ?

We as in his ethnic group ?

We as in those who are religious ?

We as in every UK citizen ?

We as in people in the immediate group on that day ?

It was one of those cases where 'you had to be there' as it were. It was the condescending manner in which it was said.

He was talking about the followers of the religeon of Islam.

The tacit implication being, we are the top dogs and call the shots, you lot will do as you are told.

As I say the context or atmosphere does not come across in print, without seeming abusive, so its best to leave it I think :|

What chance do we have with a religion that allows this ? i stopped wondering were the 'attitude' came from along time ago.

Christian family forced into hiding to protect young mother’s convert identity.

June 23 (Compass Direct) – Attacked by her own family, one Muslim’s decision to convert to Christianity highlights the precarious situation of Muslims in Pakistan who leave their faith.

Sehar Muhammad Shafi, 24, has fled her home city of Karachi with her husband and two young daughters after being attacked and raped for changing her faith.

[more]

“Pakistan’s top cleric, Mufti Munib ur Rehman, announced that ‘if a state is truly Islamic,’ it would have to kill the apostate,” Pakistani newspaper Daily Times reported in a March 29 editorial.

http://www.compassdirect.org/en/lead.php

We've had stories from this site in the past, and as I said then, it's not going to be the most balanced of sites considering its sole focus.

PT

And as I suggested earlier, the thread is supposed to be about relations in the UK - so dragging in what happens in Pakistan to this particular debate isn't exactly useful.

There is arrogance to be found in some individuals of any colour, creed or religion. Some of the most arrogant people I know are white, anglo-saxon, middle class professional men. That doesn't make everyone in that group an arrogant so and so, and I don't make assumptions on everyone in that group based on the attitudes of a few.

I know that my Muslim friends don't necessarily reflect the attitudes of everyone who is Muslim; at the same time, I do believe that they reflect the attitudes of a fair proportion of people form the same socio-economic background as they are.

as an addendum to my above post,that site's previous story (20th June) from india, is repeated. they run with the same story on:- June 2nd, and 9th, with links to a similar story on May 20th and June 21st. (that's two incidents, reported six times)

PT

as an addendum to my above post,that site's previous story (20th June) from india, is repeated. they run with the same story on:- June 2nd, and 9th, with links to a similar story on May 20th and June 21st. (that's two incidents, reported six times)

PT

So you do not deny that it is true, then?

Your gripe is that people are reporting it and talking about it.

(Not Moderating, just suggesting. :) )

Artisan, PT - come on, guys, let it go. Like I said - the thread's about this country. The fact that we don't seem to be able to saty on topic on these threads is why stuff frequently gets dumped in to Megathreads.

So please try and get it back on topic?

Most people I know simply tolerate the muslims,they dont reaaly want to have anything to do with them,mind you its fair to say that quite a few muslims dont want to intergrate with us either.:)

Mind you at least I am male so and straight so it wont be too bad for people like me,but the western women:( well they have blown it if we become islamic.:thumbsup:

And as I suggested earlier, the thread is supposed to be about relations in the UK - so dragging in what happens in Pakistan to this particular debate isn't exactly useful.

I do think it's relevent to attitudes here in the UK it's more common than people realise for muslim parents to send their children to madrsas in Pakistan for at least part of their "education" .

Archived