Dna Testing For Health And Ancestry

Has anyone tried it?

I have just got my results back, I am 10% French/German and most of my living distant relatives live in the USA.

Although only having relatives in the USA maybe because 23andme is sold widely in the USA and not so much in Europe?

It cost me £109

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

I’ve read a few times that the same samples sent to different companies have come up with different results.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6660607/Would-pay-80-learn-youre-British-related-Prince-Philip.html

Is it "it is just a bit of fun"?

I dont see anything wrong with that, I and many people have spent hours and lots of money on researching their family tree. Buying birth, death or marriage certificates. All too easy to do a negative news article.

If you understand what the results mean. I did have lots of links to the USA, maybe that is because 23andme started as a USA company and other countries have not yet had a large number of tests.

15 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I’ve read a few times that the same samples sent to different companies have come up with different results.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6660607/Would-pay-80-learn-youre-British-related-Prince-Philip.html

Not different as in inaccurate or contradictory but different because the DNA tests measure different things and present their results in different ways.

For the amateur the Ancestry test is the best simply because it links easily to the biggest database by far with direct links to the family  Other tests can find things Ancestry cannot.

The place of origin side of the results is inspired guesswork, inaccurate and changes as the databases increase in size. Some are as accurate as a crystal ball, even fraudulent. 

Sheffield people(and the other industrial cities) get very poor results as all their ancestors came from elsewhere and randomly married-interesting but not very helpful. 

None of these 'family history' tests show health indicators but there may be security issues in the future?

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

None of these 'family history' tests show health indicators but there may be security issues in the future?

I have do not have the two genetic variants for Parkinson's disease, although there are other factors. I also do not have the two genetic variants for chronic kidney disease.

22 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Well as you seem to have a clean bill of health...

... I would hope not for a good few years yet, Mr Cid! ;)

People drink tea and talk about the relatives in old age, so need lots of info

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have do not have the two genetic variants for Parkinson's disease, although there are other factors. I also do not have the two genetic variants for chronic kidney disease.

The vast majority of people with Parkinsons or chronic kidney disease have no genetic indicators at all or ones not yet associatedwith or not yet tested for.

Many who have positive genetic indicators will never develop those diseases.

Family tests should not be used to self diagnose. Any result should be read by medical experts first. 

In the future far more specific and accurate medical tests will become available, however a user needs to consider the effects of results on employment, driving, life insurance, mortgages, health care, confidentiality etc.