National Hate Crime Week. Should Shouting At Or Close Passing Cyclists Be A Hate

National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. National Hate Crime Week. Should shouting at or close passing cyclists be a hate crime?

• Yes
    • No
    • What does close pass mean?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/21 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, altus said:

If it's not safe for a driver to move their car into the next lane to overtake, it's not safe for them to do so. If it is, then a cyclist being in the middle of the lane won't hold them up. This has been in the highway code for decades. You're only demonstrating your own ignorance here.

I'm neither a cyclist nor motorist, but a simple question has struck me - what happens on single-lane roads, especially in the countryside, with narrow, often winding, roads where hedgerows etc. obscure a drivers view of the road ahead, often for many miles?

7 minutes ago, altus said:

If it's not safe for a driver to move their car into the next lane to overtake, it's not safe for them to do so. If it is, then a cyclist being in the middle of the lane won't hold them up. This has been in the highway code for decades. You're only demonstrating your own ignorance here.

Hardly.   

What you claim only applies with very narrow lanes.  When lanes are wide enough, there is often plenty of space to overtake a cyclist safely even with oncoming traffic IF the cyclist is in a reasonable and considerate position - keeping to the left. 

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm neither a cyclist nor motorist, but a simple question has struck me - what happens on single-lane roads, especially in the countryside, with narrow, often winding, roads where hedgerows etc. obscure a drivers view of the road ahead, often for many miles?

Same thing that happens if there's a horse rider/tractor/etc. If anyone's in a hurry, they'd be better off avoiding such roads.

1 minute ago, altus said:

Same thing that happens if there's a horse rider/tractor/etc. If anyone's in a hurry, they'd be better off avoiding such roads.

Most horse riders/tractors I've been behind in a car make way as soon as practicable though, and most drivers appreciate that they have to wait. It's a hell of a lot easier for a cyclist to move to the left than for a horse/tractor.

4 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Hardly.   

What you claim only applies with very narrow lanes.  When lanes are wide enough, there is often plenty of space to overtake a cyclist safely even with oncoming traffic IF the cyclist is in a reasonable and considerate position - keeping to the left. 

No it doesn't - the government says it applies to all roads. These rules weren't made up by some militant cycling organisation - they are from The Department of Transport.

9 minutes ago, altus said:

No it doesn't - the government says it applies to all roads. These rules weren't made up by some militant cycling organisation - they are from The Department of Transport.

I didn't suggest the rule only applies to narrow lanes - I meant to need to hog the middle only applies then, but cyclists often do so from poor (or selfish and stubborn)  judgement when keeping left would allow safe space for an overtake. 

9 hours ago, Findlay said:

When I ride my bike to work, like people drive to work, I am often greeted with "Get to the edge of the road!" 

I am not going to ride in the gutter

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Motorists and cyclists don't belong on the same road lanes.

Truth is, our roads aren't fit for purpose.

Where we are, there are some excellent cycle/ pedestrian friendly routes. We ain't got the topography of Sheffield & as a general rule cyclist and pedestrians coexist on, not all pavements, but those where roads are busy.

I cycle, ride & drive & the state of our roads especially the gutters are hardly fit for any of us.

So back on subject, should shouting at a cyclist be a specific hate crime? 

NO.

The percentage of bad and inconsiderate cyclist and car drivers must be about level, there are good and bad in both.

Keep safe out there 8)

2 minutes ago, Caswall said:

I didn't suggest the rule only applies to narrow lanes - I meant to need to hog the middle only applies then, but cyclists often do so from poor (or selfish and stubborn)  judgement when keeping left would allow safe space for an overtake. 

(Some) Motorists often from poor (or selfish and stubborn) judgement attempt overtakes when it's not safe (for the cyclist) for them to do so. It's a lot easier to decide an overtake is safe if you're in a metal box and are not the one who will suffer the effects of you getting it wrong. That is why the government have made the rules they have.