I need help getting old photos dated

Im currently researching my family tree,and was handed some photos last year.

There is one which im struggling to date.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place in Sheffield that could help me with this,if i took the original photos to them?

Ive tried looking at websites for help,forums,asking people,and i cant get a proper answer that seems to be good enough.

I would rather take it in person to someone who knows what there talking about,and can tell me all about it.

Im currently researching my family tree,and was handed some photos last year.

There is one which im struggling to date.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place in Sheffield that could help me with this,if i took the original photos to them?

Ive tried looking at websites for help,forums,asking people,and i cant get a proper answer that seems to be good enough.

I would rather take it in person to someone who knows what there talking about,and can tell me all about it.

I presume you mean the one you put on the Original Indexers site, I would say Edwardian, brickwork looks a bit late victorian as does the window,

costume looks Edwardian.

As Don suggests, - but it's known as the local studies section in Central Library (first floor). You could also browse their picture website for clues...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php

...many of their old photos are dated.

Sheffield Archives could also help. It's on Shoreham street (town end), but it's always very busy in there !

Edit: how to find Sheffield Archives

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/libraries/find/archives/sheffield-archives

• 3 weeks later...

I should try the staff at the Local Studies Library as they have looked at hundreds of photographs that have been donated to their archive.

I do not know what type of photos you are referring to but I'm sure you will get some help.

Photos can be dated not only from fashion but from military badges,street furniture, locations, signs, events and even photo studio furniture.

some photographers used the same chairs, couches and backdrops for most of their pictures and if their business was shortlived the dates can be narrowed down.

I am no expert but anyone who is constantly looking at photos can recognise various styles of different photographers.

Good Look

PopT

Archived