Moor Shops

Peter88

18 hours ago, Padders said:

Your brilliant Rocker...

Strange thing is 10 past 12 and not a bus or tram in sight.

Wonder if they were on strike.

Can you imagine what the Moor was like on a Sunday with no Sunday trading?

I know I'm brilliant (:rolleyes:) but this next bit took some doing! 

I've mentioned the Tyre dump on here a few times, & the impressive fires, but because of the many changes to the bottom of the moor even I couldn't quite place it.

Thanks to old maps & my copy of Kelly's I'm sure I've found it.

Coming up the Moor from London Rd the Tyre dump was down one of the roads no longer there. 

Deighton Motor Company (Commercial Vehicles) (Ellin St) 

This would tie in with my memories that there were some pretty big tyres in the yard.

With Eric Stead Coaches next door but one, there's a good chance some would have come from there.

Ellin St was a road that ran before and parallel to Hereford St.

Some of Hereford St is still there.

Memories, looking at Google maps, include parking outside the 'New' post office on Hereford St (now pedestrianised), shopping at Sharp's (now a printers (?)) but most of all suppin (in my drinking daze) at Dempsey's bar.

While I'm at it I remember buying 'Self employed stamps' at the 'Tempory' post office on Bishop St (?) before the 'New Post office was built.

Keep safe on memory lane 8)

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Can you imagine what the Moor was like on a Sunday with no Sunday trading?

I know I'm brilliant (:rolleyes:) but this next bit took some doing! 

I've mentioned the Tyre dump on here a few times, & the impressive fires, but because of the many changes to the bottom of the moor even I couldn't quite place it.

Thanks to old maps & my copy of Kelly's I'm sure I've found it.

Coming up the Moor from London Rd the Tyre dump was down one of the roads no longer there. 

Deighton Motor Company (Commercial Vehicles) (Ellin St) 

This would tie in with my memories that there were some pretty big tyres in the yard.

With Eric Stead Coaches next door but one, there's a good chance some would have come from there.

Ellin St was a road that ran before and parallel to Hereford St.

Some of Hereford St is still there.

Memories, looking at Google maps, include parking outside the 'New' post office on Hereford St (now pedestrianised), shopping at Sharp's (now a printers (?)) but most of all suppin (in my drinking daze) at Dempsey's bar.

While I'm at it I remember buying 'Self employed stamps' at the 'Tempory' post office on Bishop St (?) before the 'New Post office was built.

Keep safe on memory lane 8)

Also on Ellin St was Rippon Bros Rolls Royce dealership.

post-188-1221039677.jpg

23 hours ago, Peter88 said:

I just went looking on Google Street view to see my old shop (J&F Stone) at the bottom of the Moor.

Obviously, I am going back a long way to the 70's, but I last visited Sheffield maybe 10 years ago? Though it seems like last week in my head.

It has all gone?? When did that happen? It does look like a thriving area now, though I am sad to think that buildings that were very important to me are gone.

What did J&F Stone do/sell ?

5 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Also on Ellin St was Rippon Bros Rolls Royce dealership.

Looks like they weren't there by the early 70's.

I just love this picture & is more or less how I remember the development of the btm of the Moor.

Lewis Leather's (& the joke shop etc) has gone from the left hand side & their new shop is in the 'egg box' shaped', new building (Yorkshire Bank, Virgin Records etc) on the right.

Lots of building work going on, and as you can see lots of building that are yet to go.

Anything on Ellin St, Bennett Lane & the top part of Hereford St (Right hand side) have all gone.

The large modern 3 story building (Right hand side) is actually 4 story and the 'New Post office' mentioned in post #15 

The most obvious - NO Ugly Man Power Building and how relaxed the whole area looks including how easy it looks to park.

Happy Daze.

See the source image