Should The Queen Retire ?

10 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

A chance for every one born in the UK to reach the top spot instead of the situation that now exists in both Westminster and the so called Royal household .

The Saudi royals are always very welcomed here by the gun runners , tories and our Royals .

Not to mention Newcastle United supporters.

On 05/07/2021 at 18:54, hackey lad said:

Why has a thread which was started by someone asking what people pay their gardeners , been hijacked and turned political?

On 19/08/2021 at 13:36, cuttsie said:

Just been offered a magnificent savings deal by my bank , its especially for me and others who have been good customers for twenty years or more , the deal is 0.35% per annum on savings over a certain sum , can't wait to spend all my spondoooodies.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Queen will never retire.  The Queen will  continue to hand over many of her duties to Prince Charles and other members of the Royal Family.

Long Live The Queen !

Monarchs don’t retire,they abdicate - I can’t imagine she will ever do that.

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

not at all he is prime minister , A president would be head of state and not necessarily a politician .

Jerusalem .

God almighty what a horrible thought. President Piers Morgan,  President 'Nige' Farage, President Kerry Katona..... basically anyone who morons think best out of some popularity contest.

We have all seen multiple times how democracy doesn't always lead to the best results. There are plenty on here bellyaching right now about the electorate winning choice of Prime Minister or the results of a public decision made over 5 years ago on whether we leave our nearest and largest trading Bloc.

There is a lot to be said about the stability of a monarchy and, despite what the critics say, they still have a great power, influence, respect and prestige on the world stage that some other elected heads of state could only dream of.

Looking at some of the alternatives around the world I'm personally quite happy to stay as we are.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I was thinking on the lines of someone of the like of Robert Winston,  but everyone to their own.

Yes but this is the point.   Who you're thinking would be more suitable, could wildly vary from the man down the road or the woman on the bus or the tweenager glued to their Instagram account whilst propping up the nearest burger bar.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.  The monarchy was abolished once before and how did that turn out again...

Edited by ECCOnoob

34 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes but this is the point.   Who you're thinking would be more suitable, could wildly vary from the man down the road or the woman on the bus or the tweenager glued to their Instagram account whilst propping up the nearest burger bar.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.  The monarchy was abolished once before and how did that turn out again...

We had Cromwell for a while and then Scottish royalty followed by German  royalty, didn’t we do well?