Should The Queen Retire ?

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I don’t care what anyone thinks about our queen, but I do know a lot of Americans who envy what we have got compared to what they have got !

That’s why they fought and beat us in The War Of Independence, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your views.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, harvey19 said:

What a ridiculous statement.

Wonder how your workload and length of working life  compare to Her' Majestys.

“Working life” give me a break. What works that? 

workload? 

Edited by makapaka

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

That’s why they fought and beat us in The War Of Independence, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your views.

Or alternatively we let the French beat us in America(who then  went back to France  and got rid of their own monarchy so we could beat them in Europe)and we got a free paid for colony for a hundred years and an ally that has bailed us out economically and militarily. Good deal.

11 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Or alternatively we let the French beat us in America(who then  went back to France  and got rid of their own monarchy so we could beat them in Europe)and we got a free paid for colony for a hundred years and an ally that has bailed us out economically and militarily. Good deal.

Have you considered writing mystery novels?

19 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Which part is fiction?

Both the British and French  armies consisted of folk far from home who were under clothed and under fed, whilst the American army consisted of patriots fighting on home turf with family back up not too far away. Lord North wouldn’t have had the intelligence to figure out what you imply and never in a million years did anyone envisage the USA as a world power.

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes but this is the point.   Who you're thinking would be more suitable, could wildly vary from the man down the road or the woman on the bus or the tweenager glued to their Instagram account whilst propping up the nearest burger bar.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.  The monarchy was abolished once before and how did that turn out again...

Ok. I think in the case of America and France.

19 hours ago, Caswall said:

Do any of the anti-Royals here really think that an elected president will set us aside from the rest of the world and bring the international interest that our monarchy has delivered for so long?  

Other than wanting to end perceived privilege (from a pure class envy perspective), what would an elected president offer that a monarch could not?

Depends which constitutional system you’re looking at.

I’m sure everyone here knows Emmanuel Macron as the French President…

…but who here has heard of-

Jean Castex?

Michael Higgins? (as opposed to Leo Varadkar)

Frank-Walter Steinmeier? (as opposed to Angela  Merkel)

Not all Presidents carry the same degree of executive power under their State’s respective constitutional arrangements, and that makes all the difference in generating ‘international interest’.

Your Queen is a complete counter-example in that respect: she enjoys all the soft power and goodwill-generating persona of a President with tons of executive power, like e.g. POTUS and Macron, but has less executive power than Ministers or Secretaries in their cabinets (not to say none), and yet commands such respect out of her decades of duty.

Something that you should treasure, rather than look to bin. Well, at least so long as you keep FPTP as an electoral model (because with that one, on evidence of past performance…yep, there’s a good chance you’d end up with President Katona or Hopkins!)

I attempt to be honest in my posts so must admit to the following. Many years ago I was hauled over the coals by my employer for not showing due deference to a titled individual. This kick started my abhorrence for a ‘system’ that implies birth or benefit make one person superior to another. On my many walks on the Chatsworth estate I have taken evasive action that would have done the SAS proud in order not to ‘bump into’ one of my ‘betters’, quite interestingly I failed miserably in respect of the late ‘Debbo’ who had an uncanny liking for the same walks as me, she was a very nice person, but still made me feel uneasy, I simply referred to her as Duchess, that apparently sufficed.

I don’t in any way apologise for my objection to royalty and the aristocracy, and why have I had to re-type three times in order to post royalty with a lowercase  r?