A Lot Of Local Venues Currently Cash-Only

GinTreeS7

I've not noticed lots of local venues being cash-only but I can think of a few that are card-only. Maybe we're just going to different places, it's kinda weird that you think it's atrocious and should be called out but don't name them.

Anyway seems you're jumping to conclusions based on very little evidence. Card machines do go down, if the venue was trying to avoid paying taxes lying about it being broken seems an odd choice when they can just be cash-only.

22 hours ago, Biff said:

I've not noticed lots of local venues being cash-only but I can think of a few that are card-only. Maybe we're just going to different places, it's kinda weird that you think it's atrocious and should be called out but don't name them.

Anyway seems you're jumping to conclusions based on very little evidence. Card machines do go down, if the venue was trying to avoid paying taxes lying about it being broken seems an odd choice when they can just be cash-only.

All depends if the cash is going through the till or not - ie being registered on an audit roll.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

All depends if the cash is going through the till or not - ie being registered on an audit roll.

Maybe, depends on the till system. There's lots of ways around most, I probably shouldn't list them 🤐. Bit harder to do if a large % of sales are going through a card terminal.

Just to be clear though, I think there's nothing to see here and the OP is off their rocker.

I live in London and I have not come across anywhere that is "cash only", but there are many, many places that are "card & contactless only". Many local shops won't accept cash - even for small purchases, like a newspaper or a packet of polo mints.  I don't like using the self-service checkouts in supermarkets and prefer to pay at a check-out, even if the queues are longer, but most of my local larger supermarkets have drastically reduced their staffed checkouts and increased their numbers of self-service checkouts. Even worse, some of the smaller local supermarkets have done away with staffed checkouts altogether and have only self-service check-outs . I live near a small Tesco, a small Sainsbury's and a small Co-0p  - all of which have totally done away with staffed checkouts. Even a local medium sized Asda has no staffed checkouts. When I queried this I was politely told that I must use self-service, or shop elsewhere. I think this is all part of a masterplan to do away with cash money altogether. This will benefit big businesses because they won't have to have cash on their premises and will be able to employ fewer staff - but it will greatly inconvenience customers who prefer to pay by cash or prefer to be served by a real person, rather than use a self-service machine. 

Yes - I'm aware that self-service machines are capable of taking cash, but in most of my local small supermarkets their machines have been programmed to accept card or contactless only. I don't mind paying by card sometimes, but I do think there should still be the option to pay by cash 

57 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Yes - I'm aware that self-service machines are capable of taking cash, but in most of my local small supermarkets their machines have been programmed to accept card or contactless only. I don't mind paying by card sometimes, but I do think there should still be the option to pay by cash 

Which ones? The Asda near me has 6 machines, half are card only the other half card/cash. My local Co-ops all have 2 machines and all take anything.  Even my local Lidl is half and half.

Sainsburys on the Moor is at least half and half as well.....care to name which supermarkets only have card only self service machines just out of interest? Only one I think may do is Waitrose and even then I could be wrong.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Which ones? The Asda near me has 6 machines, half are card only the other half card/cash. My local Co-ops all have 2 machines and all take anything.  Even my local Lidl is half and half.

Sainsburys on the Moor is at least half and half as well.....care to name which supermarkets only have card only self service machines just out of interest? Only one I think may do is Waitrose and even then I could be wrong.

See #14.

FIRETHORN1 lives in London.