Whos Got The Best Local Market

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I also like Barnsley Market. It's compact, and a good mix of indoor, outdoor, old and new. 

Sheffield never really recovered from the loss of the old Market and rag and tag, back in the days of Harry Edwards, the pot man, who could juggle an entire dinner service. It used to be packed of a Saturday. 

The new market is just awful and getting worse with more and more empty stalls. 

I'm sorry but I'm just not buying it. Sheffield market is also compact and a mix of indoor and outdoor, old and new.

I really not sure how far back you are going in time with these tales of a Harry Edwards juggling his crockery but face facts.  The old market was a dump. Rundown, disgusting, breeding ground for vagrancy and in the totally wrong end of town when it was obvious that the new retail areas was going to be at The Moor end in line with the overall redevelopment of the city.

I can't deny the handful of empty stalls and don't have any figures to compare what Barnsley market has in terms of occupancy level -  but all I can say from my own experience and observations is when I was in on Tuesday and Friday lunchtime this week Moor Market was buzzing and you could barely get a seat in the the cafes area which was absolutely packed.

"Just awful" really seems like a complete overreaction to me. Perhaps it's another excuse for reminiscing about the so-called good old days. Sheffielders don't like change.

theres plenty of gold/silver being bought ,i dont count that as tat,i collect silver vesta cases and i know what i am buying and there where some nice ones,but the shops where busy as well ,also pubs,food outlets all doing great business,hard to find somewhere to sit/eat,so its good for chesterfield,so why dont sheffield do the same one day a week?