Whos Got The Best Local Market

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the nice thing about chesterfield its all together in a compact area

I worked in Chesterfield for circa ten years in the 60’s/70’s, everything has always been easy access due to it’s historically square town centre, unlike Sheffield’s equally historically long and winding city centre.

19 hours ago, bassett one said:

IN MY MIND my vote goes to chesterfield its top class,been today packed,great atmosphere ,happy people ,great prices,i think sheffield need to pinch some of there  ideas ,in my opinion,what do other folk think?

You picked the very best day - flea Market day. Go on any other day and it's very slim pickings.

Barnsley Market

Doncaster Market

Leeds Kirkgate Market 

I don’t dislike the new Sheffield Market but there was a few empty stalls the last time I was in there.  

I know it’s not local to Sheffield but the Grainger indoor Market in Newcastle isn’t bad but not my favourite though. It’s a grade 1 listed building so I think that’s what I like about it. Also the Quayside Sunday market if the weather is decent, it’s got a nice vibrant atmosphere on warm sunny days.  On rainy windy days it’s a place to avoid incase you get blown into the River Tyne.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

i musy admit doncaster and barnsley are both good,why does sheffield not copy some of these ideas?

I am at a loss to understand what these ideas are that are so vastly different. What exactly makes places like Barnsley and Doncaster allegedly so much better?

Let's take Barnsley for example, so they have a newish indoor mixed goods Market Hall, located on its primary shopping street in the centre of town with a small number of outdoor more temporary market stalls on the precinct.

Last time I looked at the Moor Market in Sheffield that is exactly the same scenario, Only difference was our new improved Market being built several years earlier. That pretty much goes with the rest of the alleged "better ideas"  that keep being thrown around. 

Newly renovated tidier shopping precinct....tick

Newly built increased car parking... tick

Newly built and cleaner Market Hall...tick

Newly built additional shop  units...tick

Newly built leisure and cinema facility...tick

Newly built additional restaurant/cafes...tick

Quick look at the time frames and and I'd think it pretty obvious who is leading and who is following.  Whose to say it's not Barnsley etc copying our ideas. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

Barnsley on a Tuesday , rag and tag day , In the last month I have purchased , A Roberts radio £2 now  in bin but saved Ariel , A Danset record player  £3-50, It plays at around 15 revs a minute but has a box of  needles. A sawing machine ,make Newhome £6 , It works some times but needs further adjustments a work in progress . A Pilots flying suit£2  complete with WD numbers, already a hit as three blokes have asked me where I got it from , Seems to be a few repaired holes in various places that adds to its ambiance.

These purchases have given me hours of pleasure trying to get em going but need a new shed as I cannot get through door .

Edited by cuttsie

52 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Barnsley on a Tuesday , rag and tag day , In the last month I have purchased , A Roberts radio £2 now  in bin but saved Ariel , A Danset record player  £3-50, It plays at around 15 revs a minute but has a box of  needles. A sawing machine ,make Newhome £6 , It works some times but needs further adjustments a work in progress . A Pilots boiler suit£2  complete with WD numbers, already a hit as three blokes have asked me where I got it from , Seems to be a few repaired holes in various places that adds to its ambiance.

These purchases have given me hours of pleasure trying to get em going but need a new shed as I cannot get through door .

My Dad use to love going round the Rag and Tag when it was outside Castle Market, it gave his a lot pleasure.   He use to bring all sorts back, my mum use to dread him coming home with his purchases.  If he was in Barnsley shopping on the Rag and Tag market day he would spend an hour looking round there to.

I also like Barnsley Market. It's compact, and a good mix of indoor, outdoor, old and new. 

Sheffield never really recovered from the loss of the old Market and rag and tag, back in the days of Harry Edwards, the pot man, who could juggle an entire dinner service. It used to be packed of a Saturday. 

The new market is just awful and getting worse with more and more empty stalls.