Sheffield Transport Buses

St Petre

If I remember correctly  they ran the AEC Regent Bridgmaster on that route, side gangway on the upper deck. Maybe people who worked in Sheffield and living on the route. I remember the C fleet running out to Gainsborough the with 85? Roe Bodied Atlantean with coach seats upstairs and in the saloon. Who the hell would want to go to Gainsborough come to think of it?

Edited by sedith
additional info

The SCL Leyland PD2, 27ft, C1156, C fleet ran out of Retford?? Tin front, was it bodied by Park Royal?

1156 was at one time sold to West Yorkshire if my memory serves me correct?

I didn't know you were into vintage SCL vehicles??

17 minutes ago, sedith said:

If I remember correctly  they ran the AEC Regent Bridgmaster on that route, side gangway on the upper deck. Maybe people who worked in Sheffield and living on the route. I remember the C fleet running out to Gainsborough the with 85? Roe Bodied Atlantean with coach seats upstairs and in the saloon. Who the hell would want to go to Gainsborough come to think of it?

Yes there is an Upton near Gainsborough, perhaps it's that one ?

Edited by St Petre
add

3 hours ago, St Petre said:

Many years ago -early 60s-I used to see  Sheffield buses (SCT) going  to UPTON. I assume that was the small place in west Yorkshire near Pontefract, anyone know what the attraction was in going  there ?

Pit?

Upton Colliery

Upton Colliery was a coal mine near to the village of Upton in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The site was 8.5 miles north west of Doncaster and 10 miles north east of Barnsley. Coal was transhipped from the colliery by the former Hull and Barnsley Railway line. 

The colliery had a short life of only 40 years. Geological faulting and a serious explosion in 1964 led to its closure.

Check out Patrick Dickinson's video on you tube exploring Barnsdale tunnel.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

I worked the Upton route as a conductor in the 60's and then driver in the 70's. The route by the 70's was route 270 , Sheffield -  Hemingfield -  Upton.  A long time ago and my memory may not be correct but It was a quite busy route, market days at places like Hoyland and there were many collieries still working including Hemingfield Colliery  and Elsecar Main.