Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

In a purely political sense, COVID was manna from heaven for the U.S. Democrats.

Trumps alleged "mismanagement", and his blame for the actual deaths, and the tanked economy due to the shutdown, with its massive unemployment rise, were the top issues. that they hammered home into the electorate the hardest. Biden was going to stop the COVID in it's tracks, and bring back the U.S. to "normal".  Lol

It was the scourge that took down the surging Trump economic growth, and encouraged folks to stay home and send in their ballot by proxy, mail, "volunteer ballot  harvesters", drop boxes and the Post Office, and their mailmen.

Some think that the  Dems. need a similar shutdown come next November Mid-Term elections. That would take a lot of hype, but then there's a lot of hate of Republicans.

We'll see!

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

It seems a little contradictory.

On the one hand many seem to think that the rules are illogical, and some of them OTT. Many also see the problems much of this is causing, many more do not want to be redeployed. Some are quite upset about it, they feel they joined the NHS to do one job which they have probably spent years training for,  and being moved to another job which they may not have much experience for (or enjoy as much) is not popular.

But, I get the impression, most still tow the line, certainly in what they say to each other : "people should be sticking to the rules, people have died". Whether that's what they actually think, who knows ?

I'm very aware of the fact that any NHS worker speaking out openly to the media about their reservations or disagreements with the measures would be putting their job at risk. 

And right from the start of this there was both widespread censorship [I've personally seen many Youtube/social media channels locked and deleted just for criticising an aspect of the mainstream narrative], and, also the authorites encouraging a 'informant culture' [neighbours ringing the informant lines to tell the authorites that next door had left the house more than once during the first lockdown etc].

So I guess in an institution like the NHS, even expressing doubts to collegues could be a risky endeavour?

42 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Nothing too drastic, do the relatively easier things first. People should be asked to work from home where possible. Shutdown indoor sports venues and gyms.

Going swimming (hard) is what helps keep me sane in this mad world, that and going to work.  "Shutting down pools" is BY NO MEANS "nothing too drastic" to me.

I would be ****ing mad as hell.

From your suggestion, I know for a fact that pools (or gyms) are not as important to you as to me.

This is typical of the stinking hypcrisy of some pro suppressionists, they want stuff to be limited because it doesn't really affect them.

As for working from home, I find the people who are most keen on that are people who, err, want to work form home anyway....

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

I'm very aware of the fact that any NHS worker speaking out openly to the media about their reservations or disagreements with the measures would be putting their job at risk. 

And right from the start of this there was both widespread censorship [I've personally seen many Youtube/social media channels locked and deleted just for criticising an aspect of the mainstream narrative], and, also the authorites encouraging a 'informant culture' [neighbours ringing the informant lines to tell the authorites that next door had left the house more than once during the first lockdown etc].

So I guess in an institution like the NHS, even expressing doubts to collegues could be a risky endeavour?

The spreading of misinformation needs to be addressed. I am not in favour of censorship but gullible conspirasheeple who merely relay misinformation are a menace.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Going swimming (hard) is what helps keep me sane in this mad world, that and going to work.  "Shutting down pools" is BY NO MEANS "nothing too drastic" to me.

I would be ****ing mad as hell.

From your suggestion, I know for a fact that pools (or gyms) are not as important to you as to me.

This is typical of the stinking hypcrisy of some pro suppressionists, they want stuff to be limited because it doesn't really affect them.

As for working from home, I find the people who are most keen on that are people who, err, want to work form home anyway....

Delay is likely to ensure much harsher measures later.

I'll reiterate: nothing too drastic, do the relatively easier things first. People should be asked to work from home where possible. Shutdown indoor sports venues and gyms. Tighten up on masking in indoor spaces. Re-emphasise social distancing.

And for goodness sake stop making it all about you. You've already demanded others go unmasked because of the difficulties the mere sight of them causes you.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

Some 34,000 health care workers in New York alone, either got fired, or quit, due to the COVID mandates.

Were they stupid, or what?

"These NY health care workers got fired rather than get a ..."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com › 2021/11/04 › w...

"Viani-Pascale was one of about 34,000 health care workers in New York, or 3% of the sector's workforce, to either quit or get fired in late ....."

Edited by trastrick

4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Yes, it is. People can take their exercise in less antisocial ways.

You're missing the point- people going to gyms does not cause harm- it causes benefits. Many of the conditions that led to there being so many people susceptible to covid, such as being overweight, having type 2 diabetes, heart disease etc, are greatly helped by going to the gym. 

Many people find it hard to exercise- they don't want to run, they don't want to train on their own- but some are motivated to go to the gym, and so they do, and they gain the physical and mental benefits of doing it. And they are more likely to not be the ones 'overwhelming the NHS'. It is win-win. It is 'all good'.

And this is why people have identified you as 'pro-suppression'; because you go well beyond measures that can be argued to be beneficial in tackling the virus, and move onto things that bring no benefits whatsoever, but are all about controlling what people can and can't do, and, in this case, actually make things worse.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

You're missing the point- people going to gyms does not cause harm- it causes benefits. Many of the conditions that led to there being so many people susceptible to covid, such as being overweight, having type 2 diabetes, heart disease etc, are greatly helped by going to the gym. 

Many people find it hard to exercise- they don't want to run, they don't want to train on their own- but some are motivated to go to the gym, and so they do, and they gain the physical and mental benefits of doing it. And they are more likely to not be the ones 'overwhelming the NHS'. It is win-win. It is 'all good'.

And this is why people have identified you as 'pro-suppression'; because you go well beyond measures that can be argued to be beneficial in tackling the virus, and move onto things that bring no benefits whatsoever, but are all about controlling what people can and can't do, and, in this case, actually make things worse.

How big is the effect? Show me the evidence.

Bear in mind we'll be saving lives and NHS resource for other uses.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

If staff think all the other staff are in favour of the Trusts policies*, it is possibly not surprising staff profess to support it. Whether they do or not is another matter.

* at least once the head of the trust sent all staff E Mails saying NHS staff "have to set an example" (which was taken to mean outside of work), i.e. wearing masks and scrupulously adhering to all rules.

Note these answers are not from my wife, they are from other NHS staff I know, but you speak to any NHS employee and they will confirm them.

9 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The spreading of misinformation needs to be addressed. I am not in favour of censorship but gullible conspirasheeple who merely relay misinformation are a menace.

That's useful isn't it. Just call people names....always helps- sure sign of a confident and well developed intellect :)