Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

43 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Indeed, that bit of irony seems to fly over their small, narrow minded heads

Imagine if a consequence of infection by this wretched virus was dicks dropping off.  Infected?  Bam!  Your dick drops off.  This utterly selfish cuntery of man babies refusing to do something that might help others because of 'freedoms' would never have been a thing.  Or perhaps it would.  Because of course that would never happen to them, would it?

Edited by Guest

I’m far from being scared of covid, I’ve worked on a hospital ward for the entirety of the pandemic.

I wear a mask when I go shopping because I would be mortified if I thought I had passed something on to someone more vulnerable than myself. Therefore I take precautions to make sure it won’t happen.

Some people have no choice, they have to go shopping, vulnerable or not.

You can have your little protest and go to Tesco without a mask, but it’s not all about you.

My next door-but-one neighbour is in his 80s. I’ve been shopping for him a few times but he used to actually like going himself. He worries now tho, gets really anxious when he sees people not wearing masks.

If wearing one means other people around me feel safer and more confident then that’s another reason I’m willing to do so.

2 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Imagine if a consequence of infection by this wretched virus was dicks dropping off.  Infected?  Bam!  Your dick drops off.  This utterly selfish cuntery of man babies refusing to do something that might help others because of 'freedoms'would never have been a thing.  Or perhaps it would.  Because of course that would never happen to them, would it?

Well said

Sorry to snip your excellent post, but...

5 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

... but it’s not all about you.

Yeah, it is.  As I'm sure the incoming posts will continue to demonstrate in detail and at length.

13 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Sorry to snip your excellent post, but...

Yeah, it is.  As I'm sure the incoming posts will continue to demonstrate in detail and at length.

Mercifully, the real world evidence of high levels of compliance with health advice, demonstrates that the (mostly) man-babies are a very small minority of the population.

They are noisy though.

To get back on topic tho, I’ve actually changed my mind to an extent about compulsory vaccinations, from an NHS/STH point of view anyway.

When they announced there was a deadline for staff to have the vaccines or risk losing their jobs I thought it was terrible, but part of working for STH is agreeing to their PROUD values. The ‘P’ standing for ‘Patients First’.

If having the vaccine is part of putting Patients First but you refuse to have it then, although it still makes me a bit uneasy to say it, maybe you should question if you’re in the right job. 

27 minutes ago, sibon said:

Mercifully, the real world evidence of high levels of compliance with health advice, demonstrates that the (mostly) man-babies are a very small minority of the population.

They are noisy though.

The 💩 in the pool effect though.  One fetid little turd in the shallow end potentially contaminates a lot of water.

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

I’m far from being scared of covid, I’ve worked on a hospital ward for the entirety of the pandemic.

I wear a mask when I go shopping because I would be mortified if I thought I had passed something on to someone more vulnerable than myself. Therefore I take precautions to make sure it won’t happen.

Some people have no choice, they have to go shopping, vulnerable or not.

You can have your little protest and go to Tesco without a mask, but it’s not all about you.

My next door-but-one neighbour is in his 80s. I’ve been shopping for him a few times but he used to actually like going himself. He worries now tho, gets really anxious when he sees people not wearing masks.

If wearing one means other people around me feel safer and more confident then that’s another reason I’m willing to do so.

Exactly. It’s not all for yourself, it’s for others as well 

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

Imagine if a consequence of infection by this wretched virus was dicks dropping off.  Infected?  Bam!  Your dick drops off.  This utterly selfish cuntery of man babies refusing to do something that might help others because of 'freedoms' would never have been a thing.  Or perhaps it would.  Because of course that would never happen to them, would it?

But it doesn't so that's an irrelevant thing to say.

What Covid actually does (to the unvaccinated) is kill less than 1 in 100 of those infected and the average age of those dying is mid 80s, still a reasonable age even these days.

Since vaccination, I would think the death rate per infection must be WAY better than 1 in 1000.

If you think it's worth changing society to try and get that down even further I think it is reasonable to describe that as irrational.

And personally I think the "man babies" are those sheeplikes following all these horrible measures ( I hate seeing other people in masks much less having pressure put on me to wear one) for a virus with death rate way better than 1 in 1000 and in any case there is precious little evidence it makes any significant difference.

Some facts ? 

Good idea ! :

Do masks and vaccine passports prevent Covid illness and deaths ? (3 Dec 21)

England : No mask mandate since July, no vaccine passport
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct

Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21))
England : 103.7
Scotland : 118.5
Wales : 141.3

Deaths (from any cause) within 28 days of a positive Covid test
Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.
Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =
England = 95.4 / 1.69
Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93
Wales = 5.7 / 1.78

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

But it doesn't so that's an irrelevant thing to say.

What Covid actually does (to the unvaccinated) is kill less than 1 in 100 of those infected and the average age of those dying is mid 80s, still a reasonable age even these days.

Since vaccination, I would think the death rate per infection must be WAY better than 1 in 1000.

If you think it's worth changing society to try and get that down even further I think it is reasonable to describe that as irrational.

And personally I think the "man babies" are those sheeplikes following all these horrible measures ( I hate seeing other people in masks much less having pressure put on me to wear one) for a virus with death rate way better than 1 in 1000 and in any case there is precious little evidence it makes any significant difference.

Some facts ? 

Good idea ! :

Do masks and vaccine passports prevent Covid illness and deaths ? (3 Dec 21)

England : No mask mandate since July, no vaccine passport
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct

Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21))
England : 103.7
Scotland : 118.5
Wales : 141.3

Deaths (from any cause) within 28 days of a positive Covid test
Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.
Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =
England = 95.4 / 1.69
Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93
Wales = 5.7 / 1.78

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

... As I'm sure the incoming posts will continue to demonstrate in detail and at length.

And there we are.  Glorious.