Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

Since they have closed the general Covid thread I will have to ask this question on here :

My mother in law is in  care home.

She has now been triple vaccinated (plus I would bet money she had Covid in April 2020)

Any visitors she has have to test themselves thirty minutes before and register the result ion the govt website, then, when they get there everyone has to wear masks, gloves (I think)and aprons.

Bearing in mind, as I said, they have all been triple vaccinated (and most of the residents had Covid in April 2020) and therefore will never be more immune than they are now, why is this necessary ?

And, bearing in mind we will never get rid of Covid, how long will this madness go on for ? What will change ?

42 minutes ago, top4718 said:

An effective vaccine would have ended the thing months ago, remember the "15m vaccines to freedom" claim.

It should all have ended in about last April when they'd vaccinated 15,000,000 with at least two doses. And I really do mean All of it, no masks, no travel restrictions, nothing at all, back to the old normal.

But the problem is, as we get safer from Covid, all that happens is people's risk aversion (not mine I hasten to add)  just goes up another notch.

The fact is that if, back in March 2020, the death rate from Covid had been what it is now NONE OF THIS WOULD BE HAPPENING, that is an indisputable fact.

It is very very worrying.....

"End of April" (when 15 million had been double vaccinated and 34 million had had at least one dose.....)

AGEUK-death-rate-per-age-group-popn-tota

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

If they are saying that hospitalisation figures and death rate figures are not comparable between different areas of the same country (to strongly indicate that masks and vaccine passports are of limited benefit, if any at all)

Adjacent postcodes will often have significantly different infection/death rates. Same NHS trust, same laws. Wales/Scotland are different countries, devolved administrations with different laws, different bureaucracies, different weather.

You can't just compare some figures, and come to a conclusion that masks have or have not made a difference. It could be down to fried mars bars or their musical tastes. Their figures could be worse without masks, you have no data to compare.

Comparing far away countries and coming to a conclusion about mask efficacy is just ludicrous.

In the absence of data either way, you have to use logic and precaution --- People spit when they talk/cough/sneeze, two surgical masks will help to contain and limit your exposure to that spittle. It's that simple.

Edited by fools

3 minutes ago, fools said:

Adjacent postcodes will often have significantly different infection/death rates. Same NHS trust, same laws. Wales/Scotland are different countries, devolved administrations with different laws, different bureaucracies, different weather.

You can't just compare some figures, and come to a conclusion that masks have or have not made a difference. It could be down to fried mars bars or their musical tastes. Their figures could be worse without masks, you have no data to compare.

Comparing far away countries and coming to a conclusion about mask efficacy is just ludicrous.

In the absence of data either way, you have to use logic and precaution --- People spit when they talk/cough/sneeze, two surgical masks will help to contain that spittle. It's that simple.

Most people don't wear one properly never mind two, why not put six on or ten, or walk about in a tent. Englands cases fell after the last mask mandate ended, that isn't comparing "far away countries" a virus is a virus it doesn't matter where it is.

12 minutes ago, fools said:

In the absence of data either way, you have to use logic and precaution --- People spit when they talk/cough/sneeze, two surgical masks will help to contain and limit your exposure to that spittle. It's that simple.

No You are saying if we don't know for sure (which they don't) "we should just be on the safe side".

Taking that attitude this will NEVER be over.

But what you have said reinforces what I have stated right from the very start, this is NOT about the science, it's about people's attitude to risk, personal freedom and death. Well people with an excessive risk aversion can change their own lives if they want, but they have no right to change mine, none at all.

Edited by Chekhov

11 minutes ago, fools said:

Did you have the vaccine just to be on the safe side?

It was a proportionate response because it didn't negatively affect my life other than :

1 - Having to attend the centre (an hour or two out of my day)

2 - Having to put up with the mild side effects (tiredness for about 24 to 36 hours)

PROPORTIONATE, that's the $64,000 word.....

Edited by Chekhov

Bit riskier than a 20p surgical mask round the shops don't you think.

There's another advantage of masks to freedom lovers, they frustrate facial recognition, which when combined with AI will become the largest threat to freedom ever encountered, it will be used to monitor, oppress and control every aspect of your lives within the next few years

Edited by fools

37 minutes ago, fools said:

Bit riskier than a 20p surgical mask round the shops don't you think.

There's another advantage of masks to freedom lovers, they frustrate facial recognition, which when combined with AI will become the largest threat to freedom ever encountered, it will be used to monitor, oppress and control every aspect of your lives within the next few years

Not so, a lot of facial recognition technology focuses on the eyes. Incidentally if you keep complying with the current restrictions and allow a digital ID to be introduced you last few words will be true anyway.