Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

I have just been reading this article saying it is pitting vaccinated against unvaccinated. Europe’s Covid crisis pits vaccinated against unvaccinated | eKathimerini.com

One part of the article says:

Starting Monday, Slovakia is banning people who haven’t been vaccinated from all nonessential stores and shopping malls. They also will not be allowed to attend any public event or gathering and will be required to test twice a week just to go to work.

They are looking at making it more and more difficult for people who have decided that the vaccination isn't for them, which is taking away their freedom of choice.

Where will it all end, when will they decide want to start implanting chips into people so we can all be monitored?

Edited by iansheff

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

However, I acknowledge it would be difficult to enforce lockdowns just for the unvaccinated. 

Easy if they really wanted to do it? The Government would need to bring in some form of ID, if they can do it for something as marginal as voting, surely they could do it for a deadly illness?

Vaccination shouldn't be compulsory - by all means let the under-educated lemmings who choose to believe what somebody on Facebook says over the weight of experience and professional knowledge of the worlds' medical bodies.  Free choice for the great unwashed and all that.

But, if they make that choice, let them suffer the consequences of losing their jobs and being denied access to public places and state resources.  They'd be doing their bit for society with a spot of social Darwinism.

Edited by Caswall

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Easy if they really wanted to do it? The Government would need to bring in some form of ID, if they can do it for something as marginal as voting, surely they could do it for a deadly illness?

It is easy- they could also do it for race, mental illness, homosexuals etc, etc..... oh, maybe it's not such a good idea?

6 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

One big problem with the poll is the term 'compulsory vaccination' because 2 seperate definitions are being used interchagebly in the debate i.e.

1. compulsory as it it being illegal to not have the vaccine

2. compulsory as in coerced- you don't have to have it, but, if you don't, you can't work, access education, travel, 'vaccine passorts' etc, etc

I voted option 3 [No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.] for both meanings of 'compulsory'.

Case in point.

20 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Vaccination shouldn't be compulsory - by all means let the under-educated lemmings who choose to believe what somebody on Facebook says over the weight of experience and professional knowledge of the worlds' medical bodies.  Free choice for the great unwashed and all that.

But, if they make that choice, let them suffer the consequences of losing their jobs and being denied access to public places and state resources.  They'd be doing their bit for society with a spot of social Darwinism.

21 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

It is easy- they could also do it for race, mental illness, homosexuals etc, etc..... oh, maybe it's not such a good idea?

Case in point.

Why wouldn't a universal ID containing some information on the holder be a good idea? 

20 minutes ago, cressida said:

Last time I looked at the poll results the first and third options were on 45+  now the first is 48+ and the third option is only 41+

why?

It's a percentage not a vote count.

In my opinion the Austrian proposals for compulsory vaccination will not happen.

It’s been raised to get the voluntary vaccine rate up from the lowest in Europe at 66 % to a more acceptable  90% plus.

It will be interesting to watch developments .

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

In my opinion the Austrian proposals for compulsory vaccination will not happen.

It’s been raised to get the voluntary vaccine rate up from the lowest in Europe at 66 % to a more acceptable  90% plus.

It will be interesting to watch developments .

I sincerely hope you are right. Woe betide anyone who comes to my door wanting to force my kids and I to be jabbed with this muck. 

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I sincerely hope you are right. Woe betide anyone who comes to my door wanting to force my kids and I to be jabbed with this muck. 

I am sure that there are many like minded Austrians.The vaccine can never be forcibly given and the most likely coercion will be a requirement for vaccine passports for work and leisure involvement.

My support for this would be limited to medical and care occupations.

I suppose fines backed up with prison terms could be threatened,but I hope that voluntary vaccination wins the day