Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

You quote what the government and MSM tell you, you need to respond to yourself.

That is what you would like to believe .

I have no doubt at all that I read as widely as you from all available sources and take what for me is a balanced judgement.

The same as the majority apart from those who claim to have some direct connection to “the TRUTH”

Just now, RJRB said:

That is what you would like to believe .

I have no doubt at all that I read as widely as you from all available sources and take what for me is a balanced judgement.

The same as the majority apart from those who claim to have some direct connection to “the TRUTH”

Tell me three things that you've trusted the Tory government with and then tell me that you're happy that they will basically have control of your life.

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

Tell me three things that you've trusted the Tory government with and then tell me that you're happy that they will basically have control of your life.

Nothing to do with this thread.

If you want to know what I think about the Tory government see my earlier post on The Conservative Party thread.

Interesting discussion on the radio this morning. They were saying that one of the main reasons that the UK is in such a strong position over Covid is not so much the % of the population vaccinated (which is high here) but the % of the older population which is vaccinated, which in the UK is, apparently, one of the highest in the world.

This is obvious if you think about it, vaccinating millions of kids will have no effect of the death rate, vaccinating millions of (healthy) people under 40 will just be a rounding figure on the death rate, but vaccinating millions of people over 60 and/or with existing conditions will slash the death rate.

It also gives a lie to those who think vaccine passports or compulsory vaccinations will make any difference, because, one assumes, they will not encourage older people to get vaccinated because they are already vaccinated anyway, and "encouraging" younger people to get vaccinated will make no significant difference to the death rate.

302503700_Vaccinedoseoneto17Jun21600W.pn

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's not a lie.  A fully vaccinated person has less chance of catching covid. If someone doesn't catch covid then they can't transmit it to others.

Vaccinating people  makes little difference to their likelihood of catching or passing on Covid, possibly 20 to 30%.

I know loads of people who have caught Covid and nearly all have been vaccinated.

But don't just take my world for it :

The Times 23 Aug 21 p35 :
The former head of the vaccine taskforce [Clive Dix] has spoken out against the policy of "jabs for jobs", arguing that young people do not need to be double jabbed to go back to the office. Mr Dix said that many companies were ignorant of what double vaccination meant for their staff .  He told The Sunday Telegraph "if people are young and they get double vaccinated they'll probably get slightly less illness than if they're single dosed but most of them will be fine either way. Vaccination doesn't actually completely stop transmission, it just slows it down a bit.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jabs-for-jobs-unnecessary-says-ex-head-of-vaccine-taskforce-clive-dix-tp3zgqvzz

Don't get me wrong, getting vaccinated if unhealthy or over about 40 is very much to be recommended, and the older you are the more recommended it is. But it is to protect yourself, it is not going to make any significant difference to other people.

Edited by Chekhov

please show your workings.

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I don't take your word for anything. It's a simple fact someone who hasn't got covid can't transmit it to others and being vaccinated reduces the chances of catching covid. The people you know who have caught covid were more likely to be hospitalised if they hadn't been vaccinated.  An unvaccinated person can catch covid not know about it and transmit the virus to others.  It's all about reducing the risk to the individual and others who an individual comes into contact with. It really is a no brainer anyone who is  offered a covid vaccine should take up the offer unless there are personal medical reasons for not doing so.  To be quite frank it's a selfish and reckless act not to take covid vaccines when being advised to do so.

Given that people have died from the vaccine(s), the individual has the right to make that decision.

Edited by fools

Oh the old 'experts' line again. You are aware that 'experts' aren't all of the same opinion?

Perhaps, you can provide some upto date evidence for the authoritarian stance (which doesn't surprise me, I've seen some pretty heavy one-sided tv propaganda lately). I've highlighted the holes for you.

Edited by fools

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I don't take your word for anything. It's a simple fact someone who hasn't got covid can't transmit it to others and being vaccinated reduces the chances of catching covid. The people you know who have caught covid were more likely to be hospitalised if they hadn't been vaccinated.  An unvaccinated person can catch covid not know about it and transmit the virus to others.  It's all about reducing the risk to the individual and others who an individual comes into contact with. It really is a no brainer anyone who is  offered a covid vaccine should take up the offer unless there are personal medical reasons for not doing so.  To be quite frank it's a selfish and reckless act not to take covid vaccines when being advised to do so.

It wasn't my word, it was Clive Dix the former head of the vaccine task force.

The people you know who have caught covid were more likely to be hospitalised if they hadn't been vaccinated

On that we can agree., though almost a;ll of them were under 50 and therefore fairly unlikely to have required hospitalisation and even less likely to have died. These are just facts.

To be quite frank it's a selfish and reckless act not to take covid vaccines when being advised to do so.

I am vaccinated, but I do not agree with you. 

If vaccines were very effective at stopping transmission of Covid but not that effective at stopping serious illness, you may have a point, but, in actual fact, the opposite is true! If you do not know that I would suggest you read up on it.