Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

A person has every right to not consent to a search which someone has no legal right to do.

If it's the case that store staff DO have a legal right to carry out spot checks and searches, then that's a different matter (though, I don't believe they do).

Please note, I'm talking about cases where they don't have evidence or articulable cause for suspicion,  but are 'randomly' checking people. If you choose to permit a search, fine. If you refuse a search, fine also. It's up to you as an individual.

Some people may refuse as they'll feel somewhat violated by the process, like they're being accused of theft, which they may find insulting. Just because you wouldn't feel insulted or violated, that doesn't others should have the same response as you, and you're in no place to be judgemental of them. Unless you're a very judgemental person of course!

10 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Aren't  they supposed to stop and search you outside the shop because inside you still have the chance to pay, something like that. :huh:

Probably the meaning of,  in for a penny in for a pound. :hihi:

Hmmm... :huh:

That was exactly my understanding...

... and one reason why (where space permits) supermarkets have introduced areas beyond the tills before you leave the store.

If you're still in the store (but past the point where you pay) then it's probably easier for them to apprehend any shoplifters than it would be out on the street... :|

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

That was exactly my understanding...

... and one reason why (where space permits) supermarkets have introduced areas beyond the tills before you leave the store.

If you're still in the store (but past the point where you pay) then it's probably easier for them to apprehend any shoplifters than it would be out on the street... :|

Quite correct Mr. Bloke,

The barman at the Inn-u-endo club Johnny Longprong likes to make ends meet, so works part time on security at ASDA.

Strip search's are his special talents.

He has told me the exact same thing.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Peacefully, not consenting to a search that someone has no legal right to do, is hardly 'acting up'.

Why are people intent on mis-characterising a lack of consent to a search (which store staff have no legal right to do, without evidence or cause for suspicion etc) as acting up or being obstructive?

That's what apologists do. 

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

Totally agree !!

I agree with Waldo.

It begins with the small things. Before you know it, it's the big things.

Our rights and freedoms are precious, and been very hard won. The big guys hate us having them. 

Don't give them away 

Edited by Anna B

On 29/11/2021 at 11:07, PRESLEY said:

Aren't  they supposed to stop and search you outside the shop because inside you still have the chance to pay, something like that. :huh:

No as its about reasonable suspicion. If you are seen to deliberately hide stuff on you or in your own bag when also holding a basket or using a trolly then that would be reasonable suspicion. However under law the do not have any rights of search.  They can ask but if you refuse then the police must be called as any search of a person or personal property should only done by a police officer.

On 29/11/2021 at 11:11, West 77 said:

Red salmon is a better quality of salmon mainly because the flavour is more richer.  Pink salmon is more like cheaper tuna than red salmon. It makes common sense for a shoplifter to steal 10 tins of red salmon rather than 10 tins of pink salmon.

Salmon, pink or red is for commoners  I prefer Caviar.  :hihi:

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I surprised you can still source your caviar given all the alleged shortages that Brexit has caused. Don't forget to wear your ushanka when you go down to the shops then you will never be asked by any of the security chaps to show them what's in your bags.

Ushanka,   same to you too. :hihi: