Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

1 minute ago, spilldig said:

This can be a problem where shops don't give you a recipt especially where two shops sell the same item but the first is a lot cheaper so you buy that in the first shop. I first encountered the problem at Castle Market and Sainsburys stocked the same item at about twice the price and I was asked at Sainsburys if I had forgoten to pay and I had no recipt. Nasty, after that I had to inconvenience myself by doing the shop the other way round because the market stall would still not give me a recipt.

Yup, a bit dodgy, but how often do they check your bags? The ONLY time I encounter it is at the 'random check' on self-service check-outs, and that only happens very rarely.

18 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I'd probably insist on filming any search of the bag on my mobile. On the grounds that otherwise they might slip in an item and accuse me of shoplifting.

If my memory serves, they would require some evidence to prove their suspicions were warranted.

3 hours ago, kevvy said:

If you've nothing to hide , you have nothing to fear.

Mmmm.... That old argument... Would you like cameras in the shop toilets where a lot of pilfering is said to go on?  After all 'If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear....?

There are lines in the sand, we lose our rights in small increments when lines start to be crossed.

All the above people were all made to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed whilst innocently going about their daily business, so that's a line crossed.

'Stop and search' anybody?

Edited by Anna B

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

All the above people were all made to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed whilst innocently going about their daily business, so that's a line crossed.

'Stop and search' anybody?

Not all, Anna - I for one wasn't. On the 'Scan & Shop'/Self-service tills, I am well aware that at random points, I am likely to be checked - in front of any other customers in that section, and have no issues whatsoever.

Edited by RollingJ

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Not all, Anna - I for one wasn't. On the 'Scan & Shop'/Self-service tills, I am well aware that at random points, I am likely to be checked - in front of any other customers in that section, and have no issues whatsoever.

^^^  this.  

It's no different to when those using the smart shop systems have to occasionally be selected for recheck.

I am actually quite surprised by some of the ridiculous overreactions on this topic. People talking about "distress" and "embarrassment". Goodness sake they are only asking to have a quick look in your bag - not pinning you to the ground or marching you in handcuffs through the middle of the store.

Surely the basic compromise is that the more and more we embrace the convenience of self-service, 24/7 opening, pick up and check out free operations, the more it is sensibly expected that in return the shops will enhance their surveillance, tracking and spot checks.

Goodness sake, do people have the same ridiculous reactions and embarrassment when a ticket inspector checks and rescans their Travelcard after they've gone through ticket barriers?   Do they become offended and demand to know what accusations are being made when some cashier UV lights a bank note before putting it in the till?   Do they protest about the assumed accusations when a petrol station asks for prepayment late at night?

Nobody is suggesting putting cameras in the toilets or anything so dramatic.... But don't think for a second they are not already tracking in those areas of a store. This is very often why toilets are located behind checkout lines or placed with security tag scanners on the entrances. Its exactly why fitting rooms are constantly monitored or controlled access by staff members. It's why larger fitting rooms track what goes in and out by number checks and restrictions.  Hardly a new concept. Big Brother has always been watching. 

Perhaps some people would simply prefer it if we go back to the days of full service with the price tag to match it. Everything locked away behind counters where we all have to queue up, sit and wait while the staff run around collecting fetching and carrying our orders for us. I'm sure people will love that in this world of of instant access and convenience. Let's all sit around waiting for hours on end whilst Mr Sainsbury deals with one customer at a time. 

That's progress.

We really do seem to be in extraordinary juxtaposition that somehow people take offence to a checkout operator asking to have a quick glance in their bag and yet are happily celebrating stores like Amazon Go where they are literally tracked from the moment they enter the shop to the moment they leave.  How is that concept not at the very least the same thing if not more realistically even worse.... seems to be a real case if you can't physically see it happening - oh well nevermind.

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

^^^  this.  

It's no different to when those using the smart shop systems have to occasionally be selected for recheck.

I am actually quite surprised by some of the ridiculous overreactions on this topic. People talking about "distress" 

Snipped 

As far as I'm aware I'm the only one to use this term so I'll assume that's directed at me. 

Yes, distress. My daughter was distressed at being stopped. 

Was she lying? 

Am I lying? 

Or are you being a bit Ignorant and belive that because you are OK with being accosted by staff whilst going about your business then everyone should be? 

Genuine question by the way.