Shops Asking To Check In Your Bags At Checkouts

If a member of staff wanted to look inside my bags after paying at the till, I'd be extremely concerned. It's something that's never happened to me, curious, is this a common place occurrence?

Anyhow...

I'd probably start video recording immediately, and then ask what it is they suspect me of doing, and also, do they have any evidence to support their suspicions?

If they're still persisting and wishing to carry out any kind of search, I'd calmly explain I'm leaving the store. It's up to them if they wish to restrain or detain me. If they did, I'd explain they're illegally detaining me against my will, and insist they call the police immediately.

It's absolutely NOT okay for shops to expect they can search your bags if they don't have any evidence to suggest you've done something wrong.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

If a member of staff wanted to look inside my bags after paying at the till, I'd be extremely concerned. It's something that's never happened to me, curious, is this a common place occurrence?

Anyhow...

I'd probably start video recording immediately, and then ask what it is they suspect me of doing, and also, do they have any evidence to support their suspicions?

If they're still persisting and wishing to carry out any kind of search, I'd calmly explain I'm leaving the store. It's up to them if they wish to restrain or detain me. If they did, I'd explain they're illegally detaining me against my will, and insist they call the police immediately.

It's absolutely NOT okay for shops to expect they can search your bags if they don't have any evidence to suggest you've done something wrong.

👏

14 hours ago, Waldo said:

Anyhow...

Store security are entitled to detain you if they believe you may have shoplifted, it they have reasonable grounds for suspicion. 

Shoplifting is rife at the minute so you, as the detainee, would have a difficult task in proving that suspicion wasn't reasonable, especially if you become confrontational and resistant. 

They would NOT be detaining you illegally & they have every right to protect their property from theft. 

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Store security are entitled to detain you if they believe you may have shoplifted, it they have reasonable grounds for suspicion. 

Shoplifting is rife at the minute so you, as the detainee, would have a difficult task in proving that suspicion wasn't reasonable, especially if you become confrontational and resistant. 

They would NOT be detaining you illegally & they have every right to protect their property from theft. 

I should have made it clear, I thought it would be obvious, but, I’m asking what evidence they have, and if none, THEN, I’m leaving the store.

So you’re saying after the indicate they have no evidence of wrong doing, they’re legally allowed to detain, and or, search me? I’m not a lawyer, but strongly suspect you are wrong on that count.

Also, I don’t believe that just because shoplifting is ‘rife’ that would grant store employees any additional rights to detain someone.

Can you point to anything that will prove otherwise? Or perhaps someone legally qualified on the subject could comment. I’d be grateful for the clarification.

Also, I’m not confrontational or resistant, they are,

Edited by Waldo

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

I should have made it clear, I thought it would be obvious, but, I’m asking what evidence they have, and if none, THEN, I’m leaving the store.

So you’re saying after the indicate they have no evidence of wrong doing, they’re legally allowed to detain, and or, search me? I’m not a lawyer, but strongly suspect you are wrong on that count.

Also, I don’t believe that just because shoplifting is ‘rife’ that would grant store employees any additional rights to detain someone.

Can you point to anything that will prove otherwise? Or perhaps someone legally qualified on the subject could comment. I’d be grateful for the clarification.

Also, I’m not confrontational or resistant, they are,

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/being-a-security-guard/#:~:text=Basically%2C you’re entitled to detain a person you suspect of shoplifting%2C as long as you have reasonable grounds for this suspicion.

And yes you are being confrontational/resistant. In this circumstance the adage of "if you have nothing to fear" rings true. An innocent person would oblige and prove their innocence. 

Everytime I've been stopped I've agreed, they've checked, apologised & thanked me for my co-operation. 

Guilty people resist because they don't want to get caught which is why doing so increasing the staff's reason of suspicion and allows them to detain you. 99% of the time they will detain you and have police attend for a forced search,  no rights have been infringed and the security have acted within the law. 

16 minutes ago, Resident said:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/being-a-security-guard/#:~:text=Basically%2C you’re entitled to detain a person you suspect of shoplifting%2C as long as you have reasonable grounds for this suspicion.

And yes you are being confrontational/resistant. In this circumstance the adage of "if you have nothing to fear" rings true. An innocent person would oblige and prove their innocence

Everytime I've been stopped I've agreed, they've checked, apologised & thanked me for my co-operation. 

Guilty people resist because they don't want to get caught which is why doing so increasing the staff's reason of suspicion and allows them to detain you. 99% of the time they will detain you and have police attend for a forced search,  no rights have been infringed and the security have acted within the law. 

You just described a doormat, not an innocent person. 

Tell me, when I objected and left the shop why wasn't I detained and arrested by Plod? 

Edited by The_DADDY

Hmmm... :huh:

Has the law changed on this then?

I'm sure, in the past, you couldn't be found guilty of stealing anything providing you were still inside the store - even if you'd hidden something about your person!

That's why store detectives always let you leave the store before they stopped you.

Having never been in a position to test this 'theory', I am happy for someone with first hand experience to correct me... :)

Oh dear…

Sometimes I suspect people just don’t read my posts, or engage with and address the points I actually make. It’s like they just continue to affirm the same line of (their) thought, without comprehending or reacting to any of my points.

I have said multiple times, my not engaging with security staff only happens AFTER we’ve established they have no evidence of wrong doing, hence, no basis for suspicion.

Sheesh!

Also, the line of reasoning that an innocent person would conform with any requests to prove innocence, and not doing so is some kind of indication of guilt, I seriously doubt has any legal weight.

Police may often make such arguments during interview in an attempt to get you to self incriminate; but there is no upside in talking to the police, even when you’re innocent.