Madness Access To St James Retail Park

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

went yesterday ,the slip road over spilling onto the 2nd lane causing problems backing up to meadowhead,it needs sorting asap,ie a longer slip road into st james retail park,what do others think?

Its been badly designed from the outset. Same as Kilner Way retail park in North Sheffield.

From what I've seen it's also how traffic signals are timed at the access road and also Dyche Lane junction.

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

Its been badly designed from the outset. Same as Kilner Way retail park in North Sheffield.

From what I've seen it's also how traffic signals are timed at the access road and also Dyche Lane junction.

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

Those who design these systems cannot even think inside the box, let alone outside. Fortunately, they are not in these jobs long, as they get promoted well above their levels of incompetence

I'm interested to know exactly how much differently you'd design it? I mean, it's a pretty standard design - the only argument as per the OP is that you might make the right-turn lane longer to help keep the queue out of the two other lanes, but that would involve moving/changing the pedestrian crossing facilities there.

People often look at traffic and assume it must be the fault of design - and don't get me wrong, some designs aren't quite right - but it's hard to know what people expect when you build a retail park + 100s parking spaces just near an already congested roundabout/ring-road...

2 hours ago, smithy266 said:

Those who design these systems cannot even think inside the box, let alone outside. Fortunately, they are not in these jobs long, as they get promoted well above their levels of incompetence

What's your experience of traffic flow modelling and design of road and traffic control systems?

Using that knowledge, what specifically would you do differently?

Edited by Bargepole23