Nhs Medical Records Query.

Just now, SheffieldBricky said:

Only people involved with your care can view your records. It's actually a criminal offence.  The patient is entitled to compensation. The member of staff is sacked. 

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, nor can the complainant demand a certain outcome,  and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Try google. The NHS has to pay compensation. It's a criminal offence which bars working for the NHS.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well, no, they would be subject to the disciplinary procedure, which MAY involve dismissal. In any case, the outcome would be nothing to do with the complainant, and usually wouldnt even be communicated to them.

Nurse sacked for breaching patient confidentiality - BBC News

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

ICO warns NHS staff that unlawfully accessing patient records is an offence (digitalhealth.net)

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Can you link me to that legislation please?

ICO warns NHS staff that unlawfully accessing patient records is an offence (digitalhealth.net)

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Newcastle nurse sacked after snooping on medical records and discussing them on social media - Chronicle Live

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Same in the USA

Dozens of hospital nurses are fired for looking at Jussie Smollett’s medical records | Express Digest

Okay thanks everyone. Mods I'm done now and you can close if you want.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair enough then.

It may be possible her records were accessed legitimately (during a hospital/GP visit or whatever), this is what she will have to try and find out.

I know, I've found out that all staff have a unique code to log in so it should be a fairly simple process.

Thanks everyone, I'm done here now. Mods can close if they want.

21 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Only people involved with your care can view your records. It's actually a criminal offence.  The patient is entitled to compensation. The member of staff is sacked. I don't have any 'dark secrets' It's just wrong.

Former NHS employee guilty of snooping on patient records (digitalhealth.net)

What if they are dying and want to break it to family members at a later date. What if they used to be a drug addict or alcoholic and have now stopped? Would you really want someone nosing through all you conversations with doctors? What if you've had counselling and revealed your fears.

It's not actually me, but my girlfriend. It's just wrong.

I would be truthfull with the family and keep them imformed. If they are divulging information to anyone then that  should be, a disiplinary offence or a criminal offence.