Crisis In Care: Follow The Money. Panorama, Tonight 7.30pm.

This should be of interest to everyone (we're all getting older) but particularly for anyone with a relative /friend in a care home. Are the fees justified?

For so long I've been wanting a breakdown of the average £900 per person per week demanded by care homes, to see if it was fair, and reasonable to pay out more than most people earn for care, and where the money actually went. I've never had a satisfactory reply.

Ed Balls recent documentary touched on this, but hopefully we will get more insight from this: 'Panorama - Crisis in care: Follow the Money.' BBC1 tonight, 7.30pm (Monday December6th 2021)

Don't forget your Councils are also paying towards these fees, so it's coming out of your taxes.

Don't you want to know if you're getting value for money or being ripped off?

So not value for money then... Who'd have thought it?

Like I've always said, all the money goes straight through the system and out the back door into the pockets of investors making a mint. It does not go on care.

Disgusting.

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

For so long I've been wanting a breakdown of the average £900 per person per week demanded by care homes, to see if it was fair, and reasonable to pay out more than most people earn for care, and where the money actually went. I've never had a satisfactory reply.

Anyone can open a care home, with the right staff, training and insurance.

I only have one spare bedroom, so not for me.

In my home town there is a eight bedroom bungalow for sale for £1,200,000; there is a childrens care home coming to view it next week.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Anyone can open a care home, with the right staff, training and insurance.

I only have one spare bedroom, so not for me.

In my home town there is a eight bedroom bungalow for sale for £1,200,000; there is a childrens care home coming to view it next week.

I wondered why the staff and patients of the closing down care home in the programme didn't club together to buy it, in the same way that a village can come together to buy the local pub or post office if they're closing down, and become an idependent care home. I've no idea where you can get funding from but it can't be any worse than the system in place now which stinks to high heaven. 

The fact that you probably can't because of the many obstacles put in your way, speaks volumes.

Edited by Anna B

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

I wondered why the staff and patients of the closing down care home in the programme didn't club together to buy it, in the same way that a village can come together to buy the local pub or post office if they're closing down, and become an idependent care home. I've no idea where you can get funding from but it can't be any worse than the system in place now which stinks to high heaven. 

The fact that you probably can't because of the many obstacles put in your way, speaks volumes.

Investors are interested in this market because it offers good returns. Lenders would have to see an robust business case, as with any request for funds.

In terms of 'Anyone' opening a care home, there is a considerable process to follow which is set out by the regulator. For a care home (which offers accommodation and care), the building has to meet a certain standard as well as the policies and processes needs to be in place to meet people's needs safely. Care homes are complex to run, and good quality managers are hard to find. 

10 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There is only one answer to this and that is care and care homes are provided by the N.H.S.  and paid for by national insurance contributions.

There are many types of 'care home' with a wide range of provision.

Most do not support residents that need nursing care.

Most do not admit people with dementia.

Some people are more 'dependent' on support than others.

We seem focused on older people and forget about adults with health and learning disabilities.

Most people in care homes are not ill, they are older, they are require little or no health care beyond what would be needed in a home of their own.

At what point should the needs of an individual be met by taxation? Who decides? How?

Should a young family finding it difficult to make ends meet have to pay(through NI etc) for people to live in a home?

The job of the NHS is to help people who are ill and do through a CHP(needs to be a lot better).

Why should people who choose to live in a 'care home' have everything paid for by those who choose not to? 

Not planning ahead for the possible outcomes of your own old age is very foolish indeed.

The idea of NHS operated care homes is frightening, not because of the what they could provide but what the Government would allow the NHS to provide.