Energy Costs

After the first week of my new variable deal it looks very likely that my monthly costs will double, I’m not happy about this but fortunately am able to afford to keep warm, but what about those that can’t? I’m just waiting for reports of folk dying of hypothermia in their homes, Bojo’s excuses will be very interesting.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

After the first week of my new variable deal it looks very likely that my monthly costs will double, I’m not happy about this but fortunately am able to afford to keep warm, but what about those that can’t? I’m just waiting for reports of folk dying of hypothermia in their homes, Bojo’s excuses will be very interesting.

I bought a log burner and collected enough fuel to last me the whole winter from Ecclesall woods

I'll cut down a tree if i have to 

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I bought a log burner and collected enough fuel to last me the whole winter from Ecclesall woods

I'll cut down a tree if i have to 

Is that legal though? I know that they recently tightened the rules around log burners.

The wood need to be dried for a long time?

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

My central heating was only fixed last week, it wasnt working for almost a month,  I wasnt harmed by hypothermia.

Maybe you are concerned about the people of Scotland?

Edited by El Cid

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is that legal though? I know that they recently tightened the rules around log burners.

They changed the rules last year but i dont care to be honest

They have made gas & electric so expensive that i do what i need to do to keep warm without bankrupting myself 

Hired a woodchipper and broke up all the wood so it dries faster

Edited by Jack Grey

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My central heating was only fixed last week, it wasnt working for almost a month,  I wasnt harmed by hypothermia.

Maybe you are concerned about the people of Scotland?

Maybe he is a bit more concerned about the effects of fuel poverty on old people, and how that leads to unnecessary deaths? Seemingly more so than you are, judging by your smug response.

15 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Maybe he is a bit more concerned about the effects of fuel poverty on old people, and how that leads to unnecessary deaths? Seemingly more so than you are, judging by your smug response.

I am old, do you mean really old and poor people that dont qualify for the pension gaurantee?

20 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

They changed the rules last year but i dont care to be honest

They have made gas & electric so expensive that i do what i need to do to keep warm without bankrupting myself 

Hired a woodchipper and broke up all the wood so it dries faster

I agree that we should have a right to forage for food and wood, but I do think log burners make too much polution. Both for people living nearby and polution within your house.

There is a lot you can blame Bojo for but the worldwide increase in energy costs is not one of them.

the energy cap itself was introduced before he took office and was misconceived although paved with good intentions. The real scandal is what the regulator did not do and check on how all these cheap energy suppliers were being run and never gave consideration to a big hike in prices. Now we will all be paying for the cost of the failed suppliers which will be hidden in our bills so that we blame the energy companies when the price stays high

7 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

There is a lot you can blame Bojo for but the worldwide increase in energy costs is not one of them.

the energy cap itself was introduced before he took office and was misconceived although paved with good intentions. The real scandal is what the regulator did not do and check on how all these cheap energy suppliers were being run and never gave consideration to a big hike in prices. Now we will all be paying for the cost of the failed suppliers which will be hidden in our bills so that we blame the energy companies when the price stays high

Free Market Economics. Check it out.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Free Market Economics. Check it out.

The job of the regulator is to protect the public and it failed spectacularly BUT if it was free market economics as you suggest then there would have been no price cap in the first place. 

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

The job of the regulator is to protect the public and it failed spectacularly BUT if it was free market economics as you suggest then there would have been no price cap in the first place. 

What would have happened without the price cap?

Some people have experienced prices increasing by 50%, would they have accepted a 100% rise?