What's The Solution To Misinformation?

2 hours ago, altus said:

Perhaps in future you should put your presumed context outside the post you quote. That way there would be no scope for mistakes about who was responsible for it.

How do you get the quote to move down the page (to give you room above it) to allow you to do that ? ! ?

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

I wouldn’t want to upset you . 

Avoiding answering an awkward question again I see ?

Edited by Chekhov

23 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How do you get the quote to move down the page (to give you room above it) to allow you to do that ? ! ?

Why do you need to put it above the quote? Something like "I assume you mean <xyz> in the above." immediately after it would seem appropriate.

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Well , as you are pushing it , the " this " I was referring to was You 

And the reason "this" upsets you is because I vehemently disagree with you on suppressing society to forlornly try and suppress Covid, and it probably annoys you even more that I keep coming out with evidence supporting my position (c/w references).

15 minutes ago, altus said:

Why do you need to put it above the quote? Something like "I assume you mean <xyz> in the above." immediately after it would seem appropriate.

I can't help thinking above would be more appropriate : an answer to what went before.

Just now, Chekhov said:

And the reason "this" upsets you is because I vehemently disagree with you on suppressing society to forlornly try and suppress Covid, and it probably annoys you even more that I keep coming out with evidence supporting my position (c/w references).

No what irks me is You infecting many other  threads with your views , when there are plenty coronavirus threads open to you . And you changing my posts 

8 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

No what irks me is You infecting many other  threads with your views , when there are plenty coronavirus threads open to you . And you changing my posts 

I am not changing your posts, if you think I am complain to the mods and stop moaning on about it.

And I am not the only one bringing Covid into other threads, Carbuncle did that (twice) in the opener for his thread "What's the solution to misinformation". I take it you think he is also out of order ? Please tell us if you do, or why you do not....

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I am not changing your posts, if you think I am complain to the mods and stop moaning on about it.

And I am not the only one bringing Covid into other threads, Carbuncle did that (twice) in the opener for his thread "What's the solution to misinformation". I take it you think he is also out of order ? Please tell us if you do, or why you do not....

Because this thread is about misinformation and plenty of people on here are spreading misinformation about covid 

43 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I can't help thinking above would be more appropriate : an answer to what went before.

But surely what went before is contained in the quote.

In any case, either is less confusing than putting it in the quote - making it look like someone else said it.

1 hour ago, altus said:

But surely what went before is contained in the quote.

In any case, either is less confusing than putting it in the quote - making it look like someone else said it.

Putting anything into the quote box that wasn't said by the person quoted is  dishonest at best.  

Some would consider it to be deliberately misleading.

I can't understand why a well intentioned poster would do such a deceitful thing.