What's The Solution To Misinformation?

12 minutes ago, RJRB said:

It would seem that you are using the wrong search engine.

Try  googling for a search engine that doesn’t filter out sites that carry “the truth”

However that might not work and further guidance will be needed.

If you really think Google is only giving you info that is 100% "the truth" you really are a lost cause.

49 minutes ago, Hecate said:

@Chekhov How about taking this to the coronavirus thread instead of contaminating this one.  I'm sure those hardy souls who can still be bothered to do so would happily point out the obvious flaws in your post in that thread.

ETA: Post I'm responding to has now been removed.

This is in the opener :

An overlapping segment believe that the fantastic covid vaccines that we now have are either very much less effective or very much less safe than they actually are. The consequences of belief in this covid misinformation in terms of death and disease are terrible.

This thread is quite obviously pushing an agenda about Covid. I have no problem with that, BUT to imply that people answering it with examples about Covid should be deleted is unacceptable bias.

16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

It's what they do it's an obsession, to the point of extremism. No matter what they say about not caring what others do, they have a need to propagate the lies and infect others

This is hypocrisy of the highest order, it's almost funny, see quote above.

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This thread is quite obviously pushing an agenda about Covid. I have no problem with that, BUT to imply that people answering it with examples about Covid should be deleted is unacceptable bias.

This is hypocrisy of the highest order, it's almost funny  :

It really isn't. It is me as the Moderator saying keep coronavirus discussions on the coronavirus thread. The graph you just posted was posted yesterday on the coronavirus thread, does it need to be posted here too. 

Note not as mod: am I the only one tired of all this coronavirus talk?! It's taking over the Forum it feels! 

5 minutes ago, SFBeca said:

It really isn't. It is me as the Moderator saying keep coronavirus discussions on the coronavirus thread. The graph you just posted was posted yesterday on the coronavirus thread, does it need to be posted here too. 

Note not as mod: am I the only one tired of all this coronavirus talk?! It's taking over the Forum it feels! 

So why is the thread allowed when it's about Covid, but we aren't allowed to answer it, err, talking about Covid !

At the very least the opener should be edited to delete all references to Covid, or the thread should be moved to the Covid thread to allow people to answer it.

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is in the opener :

An overlapping segment believe that the fantastic covid vaccines that we now have are either very much less effective or very much less safe than they actually are. The consequences of belief in this covid misinformation in terms of death and disease are terrible.

This is hypocrisy of the highest order, it's almost funny, see quote above.

Yes, the OP states that the misinformation pushed in the Coronavirus discussion is what prompted the thread, and then goes on to invite a discussion about misinformation in general and what could be done to limit its spread.  It was not an invitation for you to attempt to further your discussion of that subject on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

So why is the thread allowed when it's about Covid, but we aren't allowed to answer it, err, talking about Covid !

At the very least the opener should be edited to delete all references to Covid, or the thread should be moved to the Covid thread to allow people to answer it.

Oh FFS, just take the discussion to the coronavirus thread and stop whining. 

1 minute ago, Hecate said:

Yes, the OP states that the misinformation pushed in the Coronavirus discussion is what prompted the thread, and then goes on to invite a discussion about misinformation in general and what could be done to limit its spread.  It was not an invitation for you to attempt to further your discussion of that subject on this thread.

Exactly this. The post was the same as posted on the Coronavirus thread yesterday and can continue been discussed there.

4 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Oh FFS, just take the discussion to the coronavirus thread and stop whining. 

I agree this thread should be in the Coronavirus thread if people cannot answer it freely.

The mods have got a problem here (and it illustrates why many forums have little moderation), because once posts are deleted to pander to one narrative they are then morally obliged to be seen to be fair. And this is quite obviously unfair.

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, SFBeca said:

Exactly this. The post was the same as posted on the Coronavirus thread yesterday and can continue been discussed there.

It wasn't the same post. I have just looked at yesterdays post, which is here :

It mentions nothing about misinformation, it is completely different other than it has the same original data source.

I assume you still have a copy of the post, I strongly recommend you reread it and you will see I am correct.

Ironically this is a thread about misinformation and thus providing the original official data source should be encouraged ! ! ! !

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

I agree this thread should be in the Coronavirus thread is people cannot answer it freely.

Did you even read my post, or is the red mist getting in the way?  You apparently didn't read, or take in, much beyond the first paragraph of the initial post.

Again: this thread is about misinformation and how it can be tackled.   Others have replied to it as such.  It was apparently prompted by the misinformation in the coronavirus thread.  If I'd started this thread I really wouldn't appreciate that general discussion getting lost in a long thread specifically devoted to coronavirus.

1 minute ago, Hecate said:

Did you even read my post, or is the red mist getting in the way?  You apparently didn't read, or take in, much beyond the first paragraph of the initial post.

Again: this thread is about misinformation and how it can be tackled.   Others have replied to it as such.  It was apparently prompted by the misinformation in the coronavirus thread.  If I'd started this thread I really wouldn't appreciate that general discussion getting lost in a long thread specifically devoted to coronavirus.

If this thread is in any way about Covid "misinformation" (and it was mentioned twice in the opener) then people should be allowed to reply talking about, err, Covid misinformation......

I cannot think you fail to see the inconsistency here.....