What's The Solution To Misinformation?

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I think your missing the point, I'll leave it there.

ok ill talk slowly, in plain english

1: does google filter and hide things further down their results?

2: do other search engines use google to get their results from?

3: if so, do they use googles filtered results or do they somehow use some unfiltered results of googles?

not sure how i can put it any simpler

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is just a smokescreen it was not the same post at all, stop repeating, err, misinformation. I could prove it to you but it has been deleted

I do not know whether this moderating action was caused by someone complaining but that person should be ashamed of themselves They are proving they do not what debate, but, they are at also proving they have a weak case by having to resort to such underhand tactics.

I didn't say it was the same post.  I said it was the same data.  If you calmed down and read instead of skimming you'd already know that.

And no, I didn't report your posts, but if someone reported your initial post to say that specific discussion of that data belongs in the coronavirus thread, then that would have been a correct interpretation, given that - and tell me if this is sounding familiar -  it's apparently already been discussed there.

18 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Ah well, it was a potentially interesting thread while it lasted.  Taken over by gleeful, odd and deliberate misinterpretation.  Ironically apt.

Maybe the opener shouldn't have bought up Covid then ?

Call me a cynic but, knowing the poster's views on Covid (this is his signature : "Tens of thousands of people died who didn't need to die."), I suspect this thread was bought up mainly to push,possibly indirectly, his agenda on Covid. I may be wrong, but I do not think so.

What worries me is that there appears to be an increase in moderation, and if that happens it must be seen to be unbiased. Let's just hope we don't return to the old dying SF.

Edited by Chekhov

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Or in other words it was ok while you had carte blanche to claim anything anti covid was misinformation.

No, because this thread isn't about coronavirus.  It was prompted by misinformation about coronavirus in the coronavirus threads.  And as those threads clearly demonstrate, coronavirus discussion, including both information and misinformation, is entirely welcome on those threads. As you obviously already know.

2 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I didn't say it was the same post.  I said it was the same data.  If you calmed down and read instead of skimming you'd already know that.

And no, I didn't report your posts, but if someone reported your initial post to say that specific discussion of that data belongs in the coronavirus thread, then that would have been a correct interpretation, given that - and tell me if this is sounding familiar -  it's apparently already been discussed there.

So if it was only the same data what is the problem ?

Data can be used to argue different things, esp Covid data.

1 minute ago, Hecate said:

No, because this thread isn't about coronavirus.  It was prompted by misinformation about coronavirus in the coronavirus threads.  And as those threads clearly demonstrate, coronavirus discussion, including both information and misinformation, is entirely welcome on those threads. As you obviously already know.

Same difference, your saying anything anti CV-19 is misinformation and anyone who claims it isn't shouldn't comment on this thread, ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I think we've got to the stage where you can virtually believe nothing, the Government are twisting and manipulating stats like you've never known, Whitty (who I wouldn't trust if he said it goes dark at night) stated that hospital admissions had gone up 300% in a week, quite an alarming stat on the surface (not that it was confirmed it was "suggested") but unless you know the actual numbers the percentage means nothing ie 300% of 1 is 4 not earth shattering but he's planted into people like yourself's heads that its a crisis that needs action, blatant manipulation.

In this instance you have to look around whatever available sources there are and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, all you and others do is believe everything that fits the narrative and dismiss everything that doesn't.

That is the narrative that you like to pursue but the truth is I and others question everything that we read or hear.

My only lasting conclusion over the last year or so is that the advent of vaccines is the single most important advance in protecting some people from serious illness.

As I also said , any person of sound mind applies their own filter to the many sources of comment and information.

A degree of scepticism is always useful but as you say you believe virtually nothing from the medical profession.

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

That is the narrative that you like to pursue but the truth is I and others question everything that we read or hear.

My only lasting conclusion over the last year or so is that the advent of vaccines is the single most important advance in protecting some people from serious illness.

As I also said , any person of sound mind applies their own filter to the many sources of comment and information.

A degree of scepticism is always useful but as you say you believe virtually nothing from the medical profession.

I haven't said I don't believe anything from the medical profession, I just don't trust the ones in Johnson's pocket.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Maybe the opener shouldn't have bought up Covid then ?

Call me a cynic but, knowing the poster's views on Covid (this is his signature : "Tens of thousands of people died who didn't need to die."), I suspect this thread was bought up mainly to push,possibly indirectly, his agenda on Covid. I may be wrong, but I do not think so.

What worries me is that there appears to be an increase in moderation, and if that happens it must be seen to be unbiased. Let's just hope we don't return to the old dying SF.

I think we're through the looking glass.  Good grief.  I've just typed another post, but honestly? I'm going to go and get a nice mince pie and a mug of coffee.

There is no increase in moderation.  There's coronavirus misinformation aplenty to be had on the coronavirus threads, hundreds of pages of the stuff ready and waiting to be discussed.  Can you hear it crying out? It's calling to you, Chekhov.  Can you hear it? Come over to the Coronavirus thread, Chekhov.  It's lonely over here without you, Chekhov.  Please post that graph again, Chekhov...