Who Should Replace Boris Johnson?

On 19/01/2022 at 08:11, crookesey said:

Yes something that needs to be addressed, I can’t help but recall the Labour Party of yesteryear, it wasn’t really a place for women, unless of course they were the likes of Barbara Castle, Shirley Williams and Dianne Abbott, I know how hard it was for them to climb the ladder.

No one comes readily to mind currently, this makes me think of the Labour Party as male oriented with the odd woman to help pacify the equal rights for women brigade. Best get your act together Labour, sooner rather than too late.

The Labour party has been very much a place for women before the Tory party caught up. Barbara Castle and Shirley Williams were brilliant women, Either would have made good leaders if the times had been different, also Mo Mowlam and a quite a few others. Real fearless, seasoned politicians. Not many similar in the current line up, Angela Raynor has the fire and commitment but rubs too many people up the wrong way, Yvette Cooper has the experience and polish but is tarred with Blair.

But this is about Conservative Party, and I think the highlighted paragraph applies much more to the Conservatives who are far more traditional and set in their ways. Margaret Thatcher was the exception, and was given a terrible time apparently by the males in the party according to her biography, but it made her all the more determined to succeed. She was a remarkable woman even though I hated her policies. Her betrayal in the end was telling.

Theresa May was given the same treatment, unsupported, set up to fail, and crumpled. 

As for the current lot, both men and women, nobody springs to mind as a natural leader does it?

Plenty of wannabes but no substance. Patel's all mouth, and has made too many mistakes, also very ascerbic and unpopular with the public. Nadine Dorres might shape up, but a lightweight at the moment and her appearance in the jungle rules her out. 

Edited by Anna B

17 hours ago, cressida said:

Hmmm,   it was left to Boris to get Brexit through,  he's popular and likeable but would he be forceful enough?

Johnson *was* popular: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

Johnson has nothing to show for “getting Brexit through” a year later, by any metric you care to take.

As for Johnson’s likeability…that’s rather subjective. By now everyone, including the most blinkered, must be fully appraised of his womanising, lying and responsibility-dodging ways, his laziness and his venality. Hardly traits of a likeable person, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Going by the latest revelations about his blackmailing his own MPs with the ‘Levelling Up’ funds earmarked for their constituencies, he certainly sounds ‘forceful’ enough. Not quite sure that’s a quality, there.

41 minutes ago, L00b said:

Johnson *was* popular: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

Johnson has nothing to show for “getting Brexit through” a year later, by any metric you care to take.

As for Johnson’s likeability…that’s rather subjective. By now everyone, including the most blinkered, must be fully appraised of his womanising, lying and responsibility-dodging ways, his laziness and his venality. Hardly traits of a likeable person, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Going by the latest revelations about his blackmailing his own MPs with the ‘Levelling Up’ funds earmarked for their constituencies, he certainly sounds ‘forceful’ enough. Not quite sure that’s a quality, there.

Sorry,  to clarify,  I meant Davies was popular and likeable but not forceful enough

40 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

We need a strong Woman to run this country, Ena Sharples, Hilda Hogden types spring to mind,  that is what this country needs to get it back on track. :hihi:

I know what you mean - a battleaxe

lol

Edited by cressida

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The Labour party has been very much a place for women before the Tory party caught up. Barbara Castle and Shirley Williams were brilliant women, Either would have made good leaders if the times had been different, also Mo Mowlam and a quite a few others. Real fearless, seasoned politicians. Not many similar in the current line up, Angela Raynor has the fire and commitment but rubs too many people up the wrong way, Yvette Cooper has the experience and polish but is tarred with Blair.

But this is about Conservative Party, and I think the highlighted paragraph applies much more to the Conservatives who are far more traditional and set in their ways. Margaret Thatcher was the exception, and was given a terrible time apparently by the males in the party according to her biography, but it made her all the more determined to succeed. She was a remarkable woman even though I hated her policies. Her betrayal in the end was telling.

Theresa May was given the same treatment, unsupported, set up to fail, and crumpled. 

As for the current lot, both men and women, nobody springs to mind as a natural leader does it?

Plenty of wannabes but no substance. Patel's all mouth, and has made too many mistakes, also very ascerbic and unpopular with the public. Nadine Dorres might shape up, but a lightweight at the moment and her appearance in the jungle rules her out. 

In business I was seen as something unusual in respect of giving women their chance, you have to see this from a male point of view as a lot of guys are scared to death of smart girls. I never came across a female back stabber, they generally preferred a frontal attack, I wish that I could say similar of some guys that I crossed swords with, but then again I’m not scared of either gender.

The only advice that I’d give any woman is not to accept anti feminism by fighting it, simply ignore it, they hate to be ignored, don’t do what they are trying to make you do.

35 minutes ago, cressida said:

Sorry,  to clarify,  I meant Davies was popular and likeable but not forceful enough

My apologies, cressida, I missed that extra context. 

Ken Clarke would have been good in the role. A proper statesman, with intellect, gravitas and decency.

People need to step away from this notion of ‘forcefulness’, and the ‘all or nothing’ politics of old perpetuated by the FPTP voting system.

If people want inclusivity and balance to arise from governance again, then politics and the media need to get seriously detoxified, and then fact-informed and expert-driven consensus politics need to take center stage.

Nobody, amongst Conservatives or Labour, currently stands for that approach, so you (the collective, as a nation) seem destined to keep getting s**t on from an ever-greater height, either by ever-less capable intellectual pygmies, like Liz Truss, or ever more self-serving carpetbaggers, like Rishi Sunak - or both, as currently.

Liz Truss.

I mean…

****** Liz Truss

😳

😂😭😂

Edited by L00b

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

I agree about Ken Clarke at PMQ,  even Heseltine -  old,  experienced warhorses

Can't stand Heseltine, but Ken Clarke certainly has the gravitas. However I was under the impression they had retired.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

We need a strong Woman to run this country, Ena Sharples, Hilda Hogden types spring to mind,  that is what this country needs to get it back on track. :hihi:

Angela Thornberry?