Registration Campaign - Cyclists /E-Scooters

15 hours ago, Baron99 said:

A lawyer is running a campaign to try to persuade the Govt to bring in registration for cyclists & e-scooter user to bring them in line with other road users. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59649900

"The lawyer also wants mandatory use of cycle lanes, and penalty point punishments for misdemeanours." 

Seems reasonable. 

15 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Cyclists should have to take the DVSA theory test

Its incredible that they can ride on the roads without knowing the highway code.

Probably why so many get killed 🤔

Wholeheartedly agree with registration & CBT style training. 

I'd also like them to have full inclusion with RTA & HA thus bringing them into line with lighting regulations and making flashing lights, particularly strobing, high intensity front ones illegal. 

He's also right on the mandatory use of cycling infrastructure. It's use should be madated where it is available otherwise why both building it at the cost of EVERYONE for the FEW? 

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Why? 🤔

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6-perspec

Edited by Resident

sometimes i drive to work, sometimes i cycle - for a mix of reasons : exercise, my wife needs the car, maybe the weather is nice and i feel like i should.

it's already hard enough, i don't need much of a nudge to drive instead. If it's made even harder to choose the bike, i'll just drive.

it's odd, car drivers love to moan about traffic, but are guaranteed to fight against anything that might help, in this case campaigning for new measures that will only make traffic worse...

Edited by ads36

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

sometimes i drive to work, sometimes i cycle - for a mix of reasons : exercise, my wife needs the car, maybe the weather is nice and i feel like i should.

it's already hard enough, i don't need much of a nudge to drive instead. If it's made even harder to choose the bike, i'll just drive.

it's odd, car drivers love to moan about traffic, but are guaranteed to fight against anything that might help, in this case campaigning for new measures that will only make traffic worse...

If i lived in somewhere like Barcelona or Miami i would cycle everywhere.

Unfortunately i live in a city where everything is uphill and the weather sucks ass

😡

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Unfortunately i live in a city where everything is uphill and the weather sucks ass

you really don't, even if you live at the top of a hill, half of your journeys must be downhill.

(when i lived in Crookes, the only hill that caused me any trouble was Conduit, so i go off and walked, for a couple of minutes - overall it was still faster than driving)

what's really exciting is that the council/city-region are about to press 'go!' on the first few cycle routes in the city. it's not much, but will, within a few years show us what happens when people actually have the choice.

Edited by ads36

16 hours ago, Baron99 said:

A lawyer is running a campaign to try to persuade the Govt to bring in registration for cyclists & e-scooter user to bring them in line with other road users. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59649900

"The lawyer also wants mandatory use of cycle lanes, and penalty point punishments for misdemeanours." 

Seems reasonable.

Seems like someone has an issue and has not thought about the whole picture.

What about disability scooters, surely they are wider/slower and cause more of a hazard than cyclists. Why have disability scooters not been thought about?

Its rather like the governments policies on dogs over the years, dog licence, didnt work, then they need to be chipped, but its just the good dog owners that have their dogs chipped.

I have a bike in my shed, do I need to register it?

A kid in school uniform zipped past me on a e-scooter the other day whilst texting on his phone. While admiring his multi tasking skills I can’t help but think that safety issues aside, his parents are enabling him to commit traffic offences that may come back to bite him in the arse. No doubt the excuse will be that his friends have them and they don’t want him to feel left out. Pretty much the same excuse that otherwise decent parents I know use to justify their kids access to social media. Anyway Christmas is upon us so I expect to see more of these things very soon.

28 minutes ago, ads36 said:

What's hard about filling out a form and having a small piece of acrylic attached to the back of your bike?  Absolutely nothing. 

As for the training, surely a safer road environment where EVERYONE using a vehicle has completed a basic training system is better for all concerned? 

I mean if it's too hard to do a basic test then maybe we should just scrap driving licences and just let anyone on the roads, whether they've had training or not. 

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Seems like someone has an issue and has not thought about the whole picture.

What about disability scooters, surely they are wider/slower and cause more of a hazard than cyclists. Why have disability scooters not been thought about?

Its rather like the governments policies on dogs over the years, dog licence, didnt work, then they need to be chipped, but its just the good dog owners that have their dogs chipped.

I have a bike in my shed, do I need to register it?

Class 3 scooters already require registration.