'The Truth About Disability Benefits' 7.30pm On Friday On Channel 4

I recently became disabled and, thanks to Age UK, now receive a Disability Benefit. My experience is that a lot of the general public mirror the attitude of the DWP. My current gripe is the use of ‘priority’ seating on public transport which many see as meaning priority for seating children, accommodating people with many shopping bags or people who just want the convenience of being near the doors. 

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

CAB has a waiting list for help, as do a lot of organisations, which isn't helpful as a lot of problems are urgent. Trying to contact people seems to be very problematic these days. They are overwhelmed with cases. We are also dealing with a lot of very vulnerable people here, who don't have the means to navigate these things. 

I would recommend Age UK, and / or the Samaritans who seem to answer the phone when others can't. 

I’m aware of the demand on voluntary services.  I just wish every food bank had someone who could support the genuinely struggling to apply for their entitlements, help manage their budgets, sort out debts etc.   People who need to access food banks - as Daniel Blake did, would benefit hugely from having that help in one place.   

29 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I’ve watched the programme, the cases highlighted were tragic.  I think some independent auditing of staff training and attitudes,  case handling and decision making is long overdue.   Preferably by health professionals and service users.

Don't be taken in by the responses from the DWP on the program- it is a criminal organisation that is not fit for purpose, and they should be barred from administering the benefits of disabled people.

These are not isolated 'errors' from a system which merely needs tweaking with some staff training- the problem is systemic and deep rooted. The system could not be better designed to place such stress on applicants that some end their lives. Because every interaction, whether by convoluted and massive forms that most have zero chance of completing successfully, or phone lines with 40+ minute waiting times that often aren't answered at all, are clearly intended to maximise the chances of applicants simply giving up, thus saving the state money.

The deaths highlighted in the documentary are a drop in the ocean- thousands of disabled people have died over the past decade as a result of ATOS work capability assessments and other DWP assessments and practices.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/27/death-britains-benefits-system-fit-for-work-safety-net

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Don't be taken in by the responses from the DWP on the program- it is a criminal organisation that is not fit for purpose, and they should be barred from administering the benefits of disabled people.

These are not isolated 'errors' from a system which merely needs tweaking with some staff training- the problem is systemic and deep rooted. The system could not be better designed to place such stress on applicants that some end their lives. Because every interaction, whether by convoluted and massive forms that most have zero chance of completing successfully, or phone lines with 40+ minute waiting times that often aren't answered at all, are clearly intended to maximise the chances of applicants simply giving up, thus saving the state money.

The deaths highlighted in the documentary are a drop in the ocean- thousands of disabled people have died over the past decade as a result of ATOS work capability assessments and other DWP assessments and practices.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/27/death-britains-benefits-system-fit-for-work-safety-net

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

I have to agree that it is deeprooted in the system and deliberately designed to stop people  a) applying,  b) appealing          and  c) needs excessive stamina to keep going.  Which seriously ill people just don't have.    d)  and Time, during which people are expected to live on fresh air, and some people are certainly dying.

Disgraceful.   

c) 

I’m not taken in. I know there is a negative culture about some aspects of benefits and claimants.  But I’d also like to know the proportion of claims that are successful. And what makes the difference?   Are the claims that fail mainly for mental health issues, or other hidden disabilities?   Do some areas of the country fare worse than others in terms of successful claims? 

9 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I’m not taken in. I know there is a negative culture about some aspects of benefits and claimants.  But I’d also like to know the proportion of claims that are successful. And what makes the difference?   Are the claims that fail mainly for mental health issues, or other hidden disabilities?   Do some areas of the country fare worse than others in terms of successful claims? 

Good questions. I'm sure the information is out there somewhere, but I certainly can't find it.

A lot of decisions are subjective. One person can be seen by 2 doctors who come up with different diagnosis, and they're professionals. The people assessing benefit claims are often barely gifted amateurs, yet this decision can change a persons life or destroy it.