Why Are Gps Paid More Than Electricians?

1 hour ago, SheffieldBricky said:

They may be at risk of a misdiagnosis killing someone but construction workers are far more likely to be killed or disabled in the line of work.

It's swings and roundabouts.

Only if those construction workers suffer the misfortune of an accident or by means of their own or someone else's negligence.

In reality all those construction workers are  following the directives, orders, set rules, guidelines and regulations from higher authority......  All of which will have been drawn by graduates who have studied and graduated  to become experts in in engineering, architecture, management, contractual agreements, health and safety, the law etc.  

It is the said graduates who have to make the decisions, the planning, have the ultimate control, liability and responsibilities.  It is therefore obvious that said graduate level jobs  attracts higher pay to those regular construction workers.

I'm not closing my mind to a debate that certain jobs should be paid more than they currently are. I am not immune to the concept that there has to be  a mixture of importance between lower level skills and high level graduates.

But....the comparators you are making or so wildly different it is outside of any reasonable debate. You seem to be constantly letting your or reverse snobbery influence any rationality.

I can tell you that from very direct knowledge that even in the world of six figure paid labourers or site operatives in highly dangerous occupations in hostile environments such as oil rig workers or pipe engineers in the Sub-Zero temperatures of of Canada, there is still a clear difference between those on the ground holding the tools and those in the warm office making the high level decisions.   You may continue to think it's unfair but ultimately when it all hits the fan who exactly is the one who everyone turns to and expects them to take control to resolve it.

It ain't your low level site operative.

1 hour ago, SheffieldBricky said:

They may be at risk of a misdiagnosis killing someone but construction workers are far more likely to be killed or disabled in the line of work.

It's swings and roundabouts.

39 construction workers killed at work in 2020/21, which is pretty typical. Number of deaths due to misdiagnosis is hard to find, but figures for deaths due to doctors errors are in the 1000's from one study I saw.

31 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

39 construction workers killed at work in 2020/21, which is pretty typical. Number of deaths due to misdiagnosis is hard to find, but figures for deaths due to doctors errors are in the 1000's from one study I saw.

It seems when doctors make mistakes it's part of the job but when construction workers do it's through stupidity. 

I went to see a GP a few years ago who couldn't work the IT system after 5 minutes she go to me. I told her my complaint but when I got to the second she said I'd have to make another appointment because she'd run out of time. I wouldn't mind that but she was so bad tempered about it. 😐

39 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Only if those construction workers suffer the misfortune of an accident or by means of their own or someone else's negligence.

In reality all those construction workers are  following the directives, orders, set rules, guidelines and regulations from higher authority......  All of which will have been drawn by graduates who have studied and graduated  to become experts in in engineering, architecture, management, contractual agreements, health and safety, the law etc.  

It is the said graduates who have to make the decisions, the planning, have the ultimate control, liability and responsibilities.  It is therefore obvious that said graduate level jobs  attracts higher pay to those regular construction workers.

I'm not closing my mind to a debate that certain jobs should be paid more than they currently are. I am not immune to the concept that there has to be  a mixture of importance between lower level skills and high level graduates.

But....the comparators you are making or so wildly different it is outside of any reasonable debate. You seem to be constantly letting your or reverse snobbery influence any rationality.

I can tell you that from very direct knowledge that even in the world of six figure paid labourers or site operatives in highly dangerous occupations in hostile environments such as oil rig workers or pipe engineers in the Sub-Zero temperatures of of Canada, there is still a clear difference between those on the ground holding the tools and those in the warm office making the high level decisions.   You may continue to think it's unfair but ultimately when it all hits the fan who exactly is the one who everyone turns to and expects them to take control to resolve it.

It ain't your low level site operative.

I don't think you should work in anything that involves other people. Get a job as a Lighthouse Keeper. You're so condescending and arrogant. I bet you kick your dog as well.

38 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

It seems when doctors make mistakes it's part of the job but when construction workers do it's through stupidity. 

I went to see a GP a few years ago who couldn't work the IT system after 5 minutes she go to me. I told her my complaint but when I got to the second she said I'd have to make another appointment because she'd run out of time. I wouldn't mind that but she was so bad tempered about it. 😐

I don't think you should work in anything that involves other people. Get a job as a Lighthouse Keeper. You're so condescending and arrogant. I bet you kick your dog as well.

I don't know why doctors make mistakes, don't have the knowledge to judge. 

I've spent most of my working life on very large industrial and construction projects, in oil and gas, in steel, in chemicals. Construction workers do get hurt through their own stupidity, or by doing something they shouldn't be doing in order to get the job done quicker. They also get hurt by things entirely out of their control, by someone else's mistakes. Or because the work hasn't been thought through properly.

The most arrogant person in this thread is you. Read back some of what you've written.

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

I don't know why doctors make mistakes, don't have the knowledge to judge. 

I've spent most of my working life on very large industrial and construction projects, in oil and gas, in steel, in chemicals. Construction workers do get hurt through their own stupidity, or by doing something they shouldn't be doing in order to get the job done quicker. They also get hurt by things entirely out of their control, by someone else's mistakes. Or because the work hasn't been thought through properly.

The most arrogant person in this thread is you. Read back some of what you've written.

Here's a thought. 

Why don't we all stop with the petty name calling, threats and slating eachother. Personally I'm getting sick of it. I'm not directing this at you Bargepole23. I'm speaking in general because people from both sides have resorted to name calling and pettiness, myself included. 

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Here's a thought. 

Why don't we all stop with the petty name calling, threats and slating eachother. Personally I'm getting sick of it. I'm not directing this at you Bargepole23. I'm speaking in general because people from both sides have resorted to name calling and pettiness, myself included. 

Best post I've read for a long time @The_DADDY- and very rarely, if ever agree with you. 👍

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

(…)

(…)

I don’t know why you’re still engaging with this thread. I don’t often agree with your views but enjoy reading your posts all the same, you put considered thoughts and effort in them.

It is well-known (to anyone with a functioning brain, that is), that GP is one of the hardest specialties to qualify for medical practice, relative to most other doctoral specialities, precisely because of the sheer scope of diagnosing unknowns for the volume of walk-in patients day-in, day-out (never mind at the daily rate of knots stipulated by NHS management). I’ve known the head of Rotherham hospital’s surgery department (ret’d), Mr H,  for nigh-on two decades , and he wouldn’t swap his for being a GP.

This thread is just some trolling for sh*ts and giggles, filled with anti-intellectual bullsh*t to anyone who’ll listen and give attention. Don’t give it time.

Edited by L00b

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

I don’t know why you’re still engaging with this thread.

It is well-known that GP is one of the hardest specialties to qualify for medical practice, relative to most other doctoral specialities, precisely because of the sheer scope of diagnosing unknowns for the volume of walk-in patients day-in, day-out (never mind at the daily rate of knots stipulated by NHS management). I’ve known the head of Rotherham hospital’s surgery department for nigh-on two decades and he wouldn’t swap his for being a GP.

This thread is just some trolling for sh*ts and giggles, filled with anti-intellectual bullsh*t to anyone who’ll listen and give attention. Don’t give it time.

Nobody likes  name dropper. 

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Cheers for that RollingJ and Yeah we don't agree on much do we lol but it's nice to find some common ground 🙏

Hi Daddio,

Always read your posts and mostly agree with you...

Anyway It's that time of the year when people should make an effort to be nice to each other...

So,

Can I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a lovely Christmas and a Healthy and Happy new year.....

Stay safe pal.