Why Are Gps Paid More Than Electricians?

24 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

6 shillings and 8 pence an hour in the mid 1960s was the hourly rate for a brickie I think.

I remember an old bricklayer telling me the trade had changed when bonus came in and running bricks in to a line replaced the decorative brickwork.

A lot of the corbeling of the thirty's to fifty's was abandoned in the speck building boom of the sixties , The big builders made the bricklayers go on the lump . pretended they were self employed so as the greedy companies did not have to pay holiday money or even insure their own workers .

This system led to bad workmanship with gangs having to throw the buildings up cutting corners and safety.

Then when a job called for some skill it was impossible to make a wage due to the time needed to form the intricate pattens thought up by Architects who had no idea how these plans could or would be carried out .

I remember a job at Stainforth nr Doncaster where a architect decided that the building instead of having corners would be rounded , when the brickies pointed out to him that the shallow circle was impossible using the specified bricks , his reply was "Thats not my problem" . It ended up his problem as we all walked of job .

51 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I also remember being told bricklaying would die out and shuttering was what to get into.

They tried concrete housing and it all got pulled down , due to condensation and spalling .

The Architects then decided that cladding was the answer and we all know how that ended up .

Bricks and mortar have been around a couple of thousand years , They have tried all sorts of different materials and none can compare .

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

Blair was good at winning General Elections however very poor in respect of further eduction. His education, education, education speech translated to fees, fees, fees when it came to university degrees against technical college skills qualifications.

But tuition fees allowed more people to enter university and many never pay the money back.

48 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

They tried concrete housing and it all got pulled down , due to condensation and spalling .

The Architects then decided that cladding was the answer and we all know how that ended up .

Bricks and mortar have been around a couple of thousand years , They have tried all sorts of different materials and none can compare .

Unfortunately I think this reduced the number of bricklaying apprenticeships in the 1960s

20 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I haven't ever but regional accents are rare. It's middle class occupation, that's why they are paid more. Look at Dentists paid a fortune and that's not a difficult job.

Do you have any concept whatsoever of the academic difficulty of the many years of training required to be either a doctor or a dentist?

8 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Do you have any concept whatsoever of the academic difficulty of the many years of training required to be either a doctor or a dentist?

Hmmm... :huh:

You've got to be kidding...

... these guys need the help of 'a labourer' to master the academic difficulty of making mortar! :hihi:

1 hour ago, Caswall said:

This is a wild stab in the dark, but I'm going for "no".