Beres Pork Pies

FIRETHORN1

Yes, I know that the pork pie theme has been done to death in the past, but I've just spent Christmas  week in Sheff with my family and have been stuffing my greedy face with Beres pork pies for only the second time this year. Lovely, crispy, high baked lardy crust with that nice. soft, dense bit under that crust, that packed, meaty, savoury filling......and loads of the all-important delicious savoury jelly! 

One of my brothers brought a Waterall's pork pie. Another brother brought a pork pie from some posh artisan butchers out Jawbone way. Both were very nice and tasty, but not a patch on Beres, in my opinion. I know it's all a matter of personal opinion - but for me, the Beres pork pie remains the best I've ever had!

1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Yes, I know that the pork pie theme has been done to death in the past, but I've just spent Christmas  week in Sheff with my family and have been stuffing my greedy face with Beres pork pies for only the second time this year. Lovely, crispy, high baked lardy crust with that nice. soft, dense bit under that crust, that packed, meaty, savoury filling......and loads of the all-important delicious savoury jelly! 

One of my brothers brought a Waterall's pork pie. Another brother brought a pork pie from some posh artisan butchers out Jawbone way. Both were very nice and tasty, but not a patch on Beres, in my opinion. I know it's all a matter of personal opinion - but for me, the Beres pork pie remains the best I've ever had!

Someone bought me one years ago  from Jump  near Barnsley  , gorgeous ,but recently , I have got to agree with you  Beres  is the best 

12 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Wateralls had sold out today so my Wife bought us a Beres pork pie instead, I suppose it's a matter of taste because I've binned it after trying one piece. Nowhere near as good Wateralls.

Beres pork pies are like Beres pork sandwiches, very overrated in my opinion. Their dripping is good though.

It's all about personal opinion I guess, but I'm surprised that Alextopman binned the Beres' pork pie after one slice, saying that they are nowhere near as good as Waterall's. I think the Beres' and Waterall's pies are quite similar in taste.  I like them both. The Beres' pies just about edge it for me though, because I think the Waterall's  pastry is  just a bit soggier - and they have less jelly in them. I've never tried one of the Barnsley pork pies - but I'd like to.

I agree with Mr Gee that Beres' pork sandwiches are overrated though. Much as I love their pork pies, I don't rate Beres for everything.  Funks do my favourite pork sandwich in Hillsborough and their Turners breadcakes are much nicer than Beres' breadcakes. I like Beres' sausages and dripping too. 

One of the Hillsborough butchers that I don't particularly rate is the Crawshaws on the walkway near Morrisons. It always has a big queue and although I find their stuff ok, I don't think it's as good as the other Hillsborough butchers - and it is mostly  more expensive too.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

It's all about personal opinion I guess, but I'm surprised that Alextopman binned the Beres' pork pie after one slice, saying that they are nowhere near as good as Waterall's. I think the Beres' and Waterall's pies are quite similar in taste.  I like them both. The Beres' pies just about edge it for me though, because I think the Waterall's  pastry is  just a bit soggier - and they have less jelly in them. I've never tried one of the Barnsley pork pies - but I'd like to.

I agree with Mr Gee that Beres' pork sandwiches are overrated though. Much as I love their pork pies, I don't rate Beres for everything.  Funks do my favourite pork sandwich in Hillsborough and their Turners breadcakes are much nicer than Beres' breadcakes. I like Beres' sausages and dripping too. 

One of the Hillsborough butchers that I don't particularly rate is the Crawshaws on the walkway near Morrisons. It always has a big queue and although I find their stuff ok, I don't think it's as good as the other Hillsborough butchers - and it is mostly  more expensive too.

Nice post, I’ll try Funks next time I’m in Hillsborough. I occasionally get a hot roast pork sandwich from Beeches in Walkley which are good.