Loading Car For Snow Travel

My car is front wheel drive, which I'm told is good for snow driving. My dad used to chuck everything in his boot to weigh the car down for snow driving, back when cars were rear wheel drive.

Should I put some weight in the boot, would it help? 

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

No snow on the ground here this morning 🤷‍♂️

Nothing wrong with the OP wanting to be prepared for future events. We don't know were they are planning to drive either - there may already be lots of snow there.

Years ago I had an old series Landrover. It was slow, draughty and absolutely agricultural to drive. However it cared not a jot about snow. So one day I was driving home from work in the snow up the hill at Bernard Road. I was pretty impressed by the performance of an estate car in front of me which seemed to be handling the snow really well. Suddenly it stopped and the driver walked back to me so I opened my window. He said “ I can get up the hill just fine mate I don’t need a effing push!” Somewhat bemused I got out of the Landie and walked round the front to find he had a length of 4x2 timber sticking out of the tailgate and wedged against my front bumper. I had been unaware of this due to the height of my bonnet and the fact that the spare wheel was on it. Whoops!

12 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Years ago I had an old series Landrover. It was slow, draughty and absolutely agricultural to drive. However it cared not a jot about snow. So one day I was driving home from work in the snow up the hill at Bernard Road. I was pretty impressed by the performance of an estate car in front of me which seemed to be handling the snow really well. Suddenly it stopped and the driver walked back to me so I opened my window. He said “ I can get up the hill just fine mate I don’t need a effing push!” Somewhat bemused I got out of the Landie and walked round the front to find he had a length of 4x2 timber sticking out of the tailgate and wedged against my front bumper. I had been unaware of this due to the height of my bonnet and the fact that the spare wheel was on it. Whoops!

😁 Classic!

Best story I've read this year!

Good health to you!

13 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Enjoyed reading this.  I also think it’s the best story I’ve read this year.  Hope you didn’t cause any damage to the other car.

I’ve had to leave my car a few times on Fox Hill Road when the snow was bad.  Then walk the rest of the way home to Grenoside.  

I’m pleased I don’t live there now, but in fairness we don’t get that much snow. Good job we don’t the country comes to a stand still when we do.  

Edited by hauxwell