Loading Car For Snow Travel

I've driven everything from Smart cars to Rollers :hihi: :blush:8)

Ignoring 4x4's. (although I have had to recover them as well)

For me RWD is far superior than highly geared FWD's.

There are exceptions . I could list them but the truth is you should know your car's capabilities already.

If your car is skittish even if it looks like rain or on wet grass, its hardly likely to be any good in't snow.

The main problem, people simply don't know how to drive in adverse weather conditions.

Momentum is the main ingredient for any form of travel.

Correct tyres, tread, spade in't back etc etc should hardly need referring to, but are all good advice..

Drive with the intent to get where your going to.

Too many drive as if they've reached retirement age (sorry to all those this applies to), or are scared of driving in the white stuff.

Reducing speed is understandable (drive to the condition's), but to slowdown that much you are not only impeding others, you've lost the momentum you need for that simplest of gradients and the snowball effect is, as we all know, other drivers having to find alternative route's  back home coz they've had to abandon the car (usually on a bus route) :mad:.

No, i'm not advocating race around as if its just another normal day (although getting the car sideways can be fun :suspect: :blush: )

Drive to the conditions and don't implead others.

Of-course the most sensible advice has to be, is your journey really necessary .

Enjoy 8)

On 06/01/2022 at 10:59, Rockers rule said:

Reducing speed is understandable (drive to the condition's), but to slowdown that much you are not only impeding others, you've lost the momentum you need for that simplest of gradients and the snowball effect is, as we all know, other drivers having to find alternative route's  back home coz they've had to abandon the car (usually on a bus route) :mad:

I can well understand your need for momentum when towing but the nature of Sheffield's flat one level road design means lots of stop start junctions. Some of the  culprits I saw last year were the pelican crossings on the hills outside Crystal Peaks when Westfield school had to abandon classes and all the teachers were stranded along the tram route up to the A57. It was a case of helping to push their cars up the hill to get everyone moving stuck behind.

South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership posted this Winter driving e-learning module from Buckinghamshire http://buckinghamshire.edrivingsolutions.com/ModuleList.aspx

29 minutes ago, Findlay said:

I can well understand your need for momentum when towing but the nature of Sheffield's flat one level road design means lots of stop start junctions. Some of the  culprits I saw last year were the pelican crossings on the hills outside Crystal Peaks when Westfield school had to abandon classes and all the teachers were stranded along the tram route up to the A57. It was a case of helping to push their cars up the hill to get everyone moving stuck behind.

South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership posted this Winter driving e-learning module from Buckinghamshire http://buckinghamshire.edrivingsolutions.com/ModuleList.aspx

Timing (says him with 9 kids :blush: )

You've  the momentum, but can see the lights / junction etc are going to change before you get there.

Keep the speed down and avoid having to stop, ok it isn't always possible but it should be something your prepared to do rather than end up loosing traction and all the delights that go with sitting there going nowhere.

Same as everyday driving, too many out there simply don't read the road

Motorways are a prime example.

Your behind a vehicle overtaking a lorry (/ car), as soon as he has overtaken the lorry / car he pulls in straightaway, box's himself in with a slow moving vehicle in front of the vehicle he's just overtaken.

You've read the road and committed to overtake both slow-moving vehicles, you are then in the position of having to judge if the pillock is going to pull out in front of you or be content to sit there (mad with himself) knowing he should have kept going.

Q; why were All the teachers stranded? none of them have the sense to stagger their departure or wait for the madness to correct it'self before venturing out?

Keep safe out there - Snake Pass is shut and no doubt Ainley top 'll get a mention before long  :hihi: