The Best New Year Party Ever

cuttsie

The best New Years Eve party I have ever been to was in the Smithywood working mens club around 1987 ish . 

The club was run by a committee ,at its head was Brian Davy (RIP) who was the best secretary ever to to run a WMC .

By 7 pm the club was full to busting , The party had began. 

The Turns  booked that night inc The four mimes and another group with a lass singer , I think they were called  Turnstile or summat like that .

By 8 PM the first turn (act for non Sheffielders ) was in full swing , The Four Mimes who were just four blokes who mimed the latest pop songs or did Bing Crosby and Sinatra.

Beer was flowing , Tommy talkers were talking (gazzukers a tin instrument with a paper insert on which you could play any tune that took your fancy).

Then The main act was on who gave us all the top hits hits of the time and brought the house down with their version of Don't cry for me Argentina . 

By 10-30 PM the whole club was doing the conga ,round and round the club , outside we went  and up the road to  Athol Road back up the eight foot and round the club again , 

A    couple of blokes and a woman at the pie and pea hatch started arguing about pushing in (the whole bloody club was pushing in) and the balloon went up , A feight !!!!!!!!! and not just a little push and shove it was a cracker of of a feight , Two or three family's joined in old scores came to the head . tables tumbled and beer was spilled .

Most people just carried on singing and rorting while having a good laugh at the scrappers but things were getting a bit out of hand , Brian Davies jumped on stage ,turned up the mike to full and gave out the warning ," Stop feigtin now or the club shuts" , Big cheers erupted , the scrappers got boood and packed it in , The four mimes got on stage again and bang on 12 the conga started agen  ,round and round it went all the scrappers now holding on to each others waist as round and round we went 

Thanks Brian Davy and his Mrs Pam and the Steward and Committee you gave us lot the best New Years party ever .

Edited by cuttsie

17 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The best New Years Eve party I have ever been to was in the Smithywood working mens club around 1987 ish . 

The club was run by a committee ,at its head was Brian Davy (RIP) who was the best secretary ever to to run a WMC .

The Turns  booked that night inc The four mimes and another group with a lass singer , I think they were called  Turnstile or summat like that .

By 8 PM the first turn (act for non Sheffielders ) was in full swing , The Four Mimes who were just four blokes who mimed the latest pop songs or did Bing Crosby and Sinatra.

Beer was flowing , Tommy talkers were talking (gazzukers a tin instrument with a paper insert on which you could play any tune that took your fancy).

Then The main act was on who gave us all the top hits hits of the time and brought the house down with their version of Don't cry for me Argentina . 

By 10-30 PM the whole club was doing the conga ,round and round the club , outside we went  and up the road to  Athol Road back up the eight foot and round the club again , 

A    couple of blokes and a woman at the pie and pea hatch started arguing about pushing in (the whole bloody club was pushing in) and the balloon went up , A feight !!!!!!!!! and not just a little push and shove it was a cracker of of a feight , Two or three family's joined in old scores came to the head . tables tumbled and beer was spilled .

Most people just carried on singing and rorting while having a good laugh at the scrappers but things were getting a bit out of hand , Brian Davies jumped on stage ,turned up the mike to full and gave out the warning ," Stop feigtin now or the club shuts" , Big cheers erupted , the scrappers got boood and packed it in , The four mimes got on stage again and bang on 12 the conga started agen  ,round and round it went all the scrappers now holding on to each others waist as round and round we went 

Thanks Brian Davy and his Mrs Pam and the Steward and Committee you gave us lot the best New Years party ever .

You’re actually a real old softy at heart.  

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Hi cuttsie,

It sounds like East Enders in real life!

Happy  and a  'feight free' New Year when it arrives.

echo.

18 hours ago, prince al said:

Great party! Pity they don’t have them like that now.

Every district I have lived in I have joined the nearest WMC.

Started with The Midhill on East Bank , Then Walkley club ,  then Smithywood  Then Carlton at Town End , Then the Park and Arbourthorne , then  Hodthorpe club , maybe the Arundel as well but can't remember if I joined or just walked in .

Three left but one now in private hands.

Nearly forgot Dicks Club on Elmton Road in Creswell , A club that raised lots of dosh for Bluebell Wood hospice .

Edited by cuttsie