New Year Honours

19 minutes ago, MyFriendStan said:

It would have been nice to see the  lads and lasses at longley lane vaccination centre getting some sort of reward them and all the other thousands working their rocks off to protect the country, will they be rewarded when all this is over?. 

That's unlikely to ever happen and rightly so in my opinion 

9 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

I’m surprised Kevin Seinfeld didn’t get a gong,put so much work in for the MND but I suppose he’s not a celebrity.

I don't know who Kevin Seinfeld is but Kevin Sinfield, the Leeds Rhinos player, was awarded an OBE in the June 2021 Queen's Birthday Honours for his fundraising efforts. I suspect she didn't think he needed another one quite so soon after the last.

Edited by altus

8 minutes ago, altus said:

I don't know who Kevin Seinfeld is but Kevin Sinfield, the Leeds Rhinos player, was awarded an OBE in the June 2021 Queen's Birthday Honours for his fundraising efforts. I suspect she didn't think he needed another one quite so soon after the last.

My mistake.

17 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That's untrue.   Saddam Hussein was found guilty for horrendous crimes against his own people and Osama Bin Laden was a terrorists responsible for the murders of thousands of innocent people.  Sir Tony Blair was correct in supporting the war against terrorism.

No. He's a war criminal. 

It's now accepted that the Iraq invasion was based on a lie. 

There were no wmd's and he knew it before he got us involved in a war. An illegal war. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense. He's not a war criminal otherwise he would have faced a trial at the Hague.  Saddam Hussein is to blame for both Iraq wars.  He wanted the World to believe he had wmd's because he wanted Iran to believe he had wmd's.  The big mistake was not going to war against the Bashar al- Assad Syrian regime after they used chemical weapons against their own people and crossed the red line set by Barack Obama.  Ed Miliband is to blame for the Assad regime remaining in power because he backtracked on an agreement he made with David Cameron to support military action. The failure to take no action at the time allowed Russia to have more influence and become stronger and also it allowed the terrorist group Isis to run havoc in Syria and attack western cities. 

Dr David Kelly said the WMD reports had been 'sexed up' in other words exagerated. Blair knew they had been sexed up, somebody(?) gave the order to 'sex them up.' I wonder who? Kelly died in mysterious circumstances. Thousands of people marched against the war, lots of MPs also objected, but Blair colluded with Bush, went ahead and took us into an unnecessary war that killed thousands. However it achieved it's purpose of destablising the middle east, as did all the other proxy wars started in that region. 

The irony is Blair went on to clean up in the middle east, making millions selling them weapons as 'Peace envoy to the middle east.'

Blair is a war criminal.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

That's untrue.   Saddam Hussein was found guilty for horrendous crimes against his own people . . .

Don't forget that Saddam was also our ally.

Saddam also fought a war with  Iran, and Western powers gave Saddam miltary support including weapons and intelligence.

I think Le French even built him a nuclear reactor, and good old Sheffield supplied the barrel for his alleged Supergun.

48 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Dr David Kelly said the WMD reports had been 'sexed up' in other words exagerated. Blair knew they had been sexed up, somebody(?) gave the order to 'sex them up.' I wonder who? Kelly died in mysterious circumstances. Thousands of people marched against the war, lots of MPs also objected, but Blair colluded with Bush, went ahead and took us into an unnecessary war that killed thousands. However it achieved it's purpose of destablising the middle east, as did all the other proxy wars started in that region. 

The irony is Blair went on to clean up in the middle east, making millions selling them weapons as 'Peace envoy to the middle east.'

Blair is a war criminal.  

Bang on 

3 hours ago, altus said:

She wasn't given it for having her face scarred but for her work supporting disfigurement injury charities. Your complaint against her is akin to moaning that Simon Weston got an OBE and a CBE when other soldiers with injuries didn't.

Whilst many of the awards may be undeserved, people should at least find out why they've been awarded before commenting rather than just assuming it's for what they are best known for.

People that have been given awards for raising money, its just a matter of whether the media like how their story is presented.

I dont know much about individual awards,

I live close to "Blind veteran Simon Brown's 874-mile walking challenge", I dont think he will get as much as that bloke that walked around his garden, Tom Moore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56236955