Tarts

cuttsie

19 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Great memories Cuttsie.

Grandma could do wonders on her Yorkshire Range.

Nobody mentioned mince tarts that were our favorite around Christmas.

Is there still such a thing as a jar of mincemeat?

Yes, but I doubt it is still the same quality  as of old.

Also when we were youngsters I can never remember my mother throwing any food in the bin. I suppose it was because we ate everything that was put on our plate. Not like the mothers today, asking their youngsters what they want for their meal. 

Edited by Kidorry
deleted text

I totally agree with everyone!! My Mum was well known as a 'grand baker'.  She could bake ANYTHING,

just like you've all said about your Mums.  Never measured out ingredients other than the Christmas Cake,

as it contained that much fruit! 'yum'

She had a good little TART variety, from the sweet :-  Strawberry Jam, Lemon Curd, Bakewell, Coconut Macaroon,

Custard & Treacle, ( Mince Pies as well) to the savoury:-  Cheese & Cheese/Bacon ones. She would sometimes make

a large Treacle or Bakewell Tart which we had warm with cream or custard for pudding.

It IS TRUE! things that are 'home made' taste so much better. I wonder also, if baking in a 'proper' oven  like our

Mums had, also made the difference! When Mum baked bread, it ALWAYS tasted so much nicer than shop bought.  

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

I totally agree with everyone!! My Mum was well known as a 'grand baker'.  She could bake ANYTHING,

just like you've all said about your Mums.  Never measured out ingredients other than the Christmas Cake,

as it contained that much fruit! 'yum'

She had a good little TART variety, from the sweet :-  Strawberry Jam, Lemon Curd, Bakewell, Coconut Macaroon,

Custard & Treacle, ( Mince Pies as well) to the savoury:-  Cheese & Cheese/Bacon ones. She would sometimes make

a large Treacle or Bakewell Tart which we had warm with cream or custard for pudding.

It IS TRUE! things that are 'home made' taste so much better. I wonder also, if baking in a 'proper' oven  like our

Mums had, also made the difference! When Mum baked bread, it ALWAYS tasted so much nicer than shop bought.  

coconut buns nearly forgot about those ,lovely when crunchy on top /

One of my favourites my mother made on the old Yorkshire Range was rice pudding made in a large enamel bowl,I being the oldest of four always got the skin off the top with my helping!.If my siblings stopped rooring for five minutes I would generously allow them a small sample if I was in a good mood!.She made all sorts of goodies another one I liked,a large egg custard as well as jam and lemon tarts and turnovers!.As I reached working age I worked for W.A.Brooms aka Don Bakery,I scoffed samples of their extensive range of confectionary until I was sick of it and in the end I lost my sweet tooth and to this day I only like savouries,if I was hungry I would buy a sandwich or wait for my dinner never bother with any of the van full of pastries at my disposal,funny that!.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 13:31, cuttsie said:

coconut buns nearly forgot about those ,lovely when crunchy on top /

Hi Cuttsie

Do you remember that cheap plywood substitute we used  to flush doors and box in pipes?

An ex pat And I got talking about "doing up" the Arbourthorne estate houses, and neither of us could remember the name of it.

TIA

44 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Hi Cuttsie

Do you remember that cheap plywood substitute we used  to flush doors and box in pipes?

An ex pat And I got talking about "doing up" the Arbourthorne estate houses, and neither of us could remember the name of it.

TIA

Hardboard.

The manufacturers must have made a fortune selling this as I recall every working class family that I knew had this on every downstairs internal door and some even used it outside too.

Nowadays, people realise that the old fashioned wooden doors look far nicer when properly painted.

It was probably cheaper though, to buy hardboard than to buy a tin of paint.

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Hi Cuttsie

TIA

As Orangrinder  said , all the houses on our estate did it , years later our gang of builders used to rip it of and desolve the old pine panel doors in acid baths , this removed layers and layers of paint and varnish . Then the new kids on the block in the posh terraces at Broomhill and Fulwood bought em off us complete with cast iron hinges and old locks so as  to hang in place of the doors that they inherited along with  roses around the front porch .

The acid baths would get rid off owt you needed to get out of the way inc unwanted wives or husbands ,   all that was left was the gold fillings from ones teeth so they say .