Do Children Need A Mobile

53 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

AnnaB, when our granddaughters sister comes to stay we have a policy that no screens are allowed. No phones, no tablets, no Xbox. They moan about for ten minutes then guess what? They play with toys together and invent little games with them. Admittedly the toys all seem to have terrible American Disney accents but I still take that as a win. Also going to the park and feeding the ducks is still popular.      Cuttsie, I agree. I see loads of idiots still using their phones while driving but I also see idiot pedestrians too. Adults who are so engrossed in their phones that they routinely walk straight behind my car when the reverse lights are on and I’m already moving. They’re like bloody lemmings!

Good for you Jim. Kids get all sorts of valuable things from interactive play that they can't get from phones, and I'm sure they will thank you for it in the end. I just wish all kids could be persuaded to give up their phones for a while, but some parents haven't a clue what to replace them with, they seem to have lost the ability to know how to play with their kids or guide them to other pursuits, and give in very quickly.

Edited by Anna B

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Good for you Jim. Kids get all sorts of valuable things from interactive play that they can't get from phones, and I'm sure they will thank you for it in the end. I just wish all kids could be persuaded to give up their phones for a while, but some parents haven't a clue what to replace them with, they seem to have lost the ability to know how to play with their kids or guide them to other pursuits, and give in very quickly.

Used to take my kids in Woolly Woods, making dams, catapults, bow and arrows, they used to love it, especially when I got stuck up a tree.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Used to take my kids in Woolly Woods, making dams, catapults, bow and arrows, they used to love it, especially when I got stuck up a tree.

Exactly Padders. They like playing with their parents more than anything, although they might not always admit it.

6 hours ago, Padders said:

2 tin cans and a length of wire.

There was Just one family with a phone on our estate , Mr Kitts he was manager of the Co Op .  If there was a   emergency the Kitts would let you use their phone , They had a box with a slot in the top to put your pennies in .

Go and ask Mrs Kitts if we can use phone was a regular occurrence .

Some times a lad on a motor bike would turn up on the estate with a telegram for some one,  usually bad news from army or hospital etc . People dreaded telegram lad pulling up outside .

Edited by cuttsie

19 hours ago, cuttsie said:

There was Just one family with a phone on our estate , Mr Kitts he was manager of the Co Op .  If there was a   emergency the Kitts would let you use their phone , They had a box with a slot in the top to put your pennies in .

Go and ask Mrs Kitts if we can use phone was a regular occurrence .

Some times a lad on a motor bike would turn up on the estate with a telegram for some one,  usually bad news from army or hospital etc . People dreaded telegram lad pulling up outside .

No-one had a phone on our estate, there was just a pay phone about half a mile away.

6 minutes ago, spilldig said:

No-one had a phone on our estate, there was just a pay phone about half a mile away.

I remember them well,

Press button A.. if you couldn't get through press button B.. for a 4d refund.

Shove a bit of rag up the chute, and claim the refunds later in the day.