How Much Is Your Water Bill?

I have just received my water bill, 13 months = £657.88

Average household water and sewerage bills in England and Wales will be cut by around £17 (4%) in 2020/21. The average annual bill will come down from £413.33 to £396.60, although there will be variations from company to company.

Perhaps all those single people that live alone bring down the average price.

https://www.water.org.uk/news-item/average-water-and-sewerage-bills-for-england-and-wales-to-fall-by-17-in-2020-21/

Three adults live here, although I dont believe they use a lot of water to clean themselves, recently anyway. Do you need to wash if you dont meet anyone  :)

How much do you pay?

How many litres do you use per person is a more useful question. Are you not on a meter?

Imagine not having clean water, and no sewage/rainwater collection. How much would you pay to have the problem eradicated, 55p/day per person is good value, the price of a bottle of water.  Compare it to the silly prices people pay for their broadband/tv/mobile, none of which are necessary to sustain life.

Edited by fools

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Are you on a meter?

Yes, on a meter.

179 cm water and 139 cm sewerage, looks like the sewerage is metered too, that is a surprize.

£27.60 standing charge

Edited by El Cid

My bill has recently gone up. I'm on a meter and it's gone from £30 - £50 a month. Not very surprising given that when a reading was taken recently it was the first time the meter had been read since before the pandemic and I've been working from home since March 2020. I had tried to submit readings online between now and then but without any luck and just seemed to be sat on hold whenever I had the chance to call.

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

Yes, on a meter.

179 cm water and 139 cm sewerage, looks like the sewerage is metered too, that is a surprize.

£27.60 standing charge

Not metered as such but calculated based on clean water used.  For every cubic meter that comes out of your pipes, you are charged 0.95 cubic metre for sewage disposal. There is also the standing charge too.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Not metered as such but calculated based on clean water used.  For every cubic meter that comes out of your pipes, you are charged 0.95 cubic metre for sewage disposal. There is also the standing charge too.

I understand now, sewerage is not metered, I just pay for the ammount of water that comes in, then goes out again.

A neighbour says he pays less than £300, with three adults too.

We do have three vehicles to wash, but not often, I washed my van with used dishwater today.

59 minutes ago, Janus said:

Yorkshire Water sent me a water saving pack, free of charge. I just had to phone up and request one.

I have had one of those in the past. I am a frugal person, I dont flush every time and occasionally reuse the dishwater, my other two 'guests' are not frugal.

I believe water is better left in the reservoir , for the wildlife to use.

I'm currently on a smart water meter project with Yorkshire Water.

They should be sending me annual reports which will allow me to make a decision on whether, or not to change billing over to metered.

Meanwhile, they are paying me £50 a year for the privilege.