How Much Is Your Water Bill?

29 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

I'm currently on a smart water meter project with Yorkshire Water.

They should be sending me annual reports which will allow me to make a decision on whether, or not to change billing over to metered.

Meanwhile, they are paying me £50 a year for the privilege.

Yorkshire Water is carrying out the UK’s most advanced smart water network pilot in Sheffield and has so far installed almost 2000 upgraded meters and reduced leakage in the area by more than 90,000 litres per day.

The innovation pilot recently won Utility Week’s Innovation Award 2020, and is a collaboration of 18 partners using state of the art technology such as acoustic loggers, pressure loggers and flow meters to monitor for leaks on the water network. The pilot dashboard monitors for abnormalities and flags it to Yorkshire Water technicians to investigate.

Early findings have shown 32% of all leakage coming from just 1% of properties in the metered area, suggesting that there are sometimes large leaks that customers are unaware of. Such leaks are often found on pipes on their way into buildings or in bathrooms – with data showing that almost 1 in 10 Yorkshire Water customers likely to have a leaking toilet that they are unaware of.

https://www.yorkshirewater.com/news-media/news-articles/2021/pilot-could-be-game-changing-for-leakage-and-customer-bills/

How can your toilet leak and you are not aware of it?

For toilet installation over the last 20 odd years it's not been a requirement to have the over flow pipe discharging to the outside of the building,  most people are unaware that if the toilet cistern is overflowing the water is going down the WC pan. Very hard to see unless you look very closely.

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

How can your toilet leak and you are not aware of it?

The leak is not,from the toilet bowl, it refers to the cistern filling mechanism. 

On the water saving cisterns the valve mechanism sometimes does not close properly when the cistern is full, allowing a small constant  trickle of water to continue into the bowl. As said above, you cant see it easily, but if you look closely at the rear of the water in the bowl you can see a slight rippling of the water surface. That means it's  leaking.

On 12/01/2022 at 13:44, Gormenghast said:

On the water saving cisterns the valve mechanism sometimes does not close properly when the cistern is full, allowing a small constant  trickle of water to continue into the bowl. As said above, you cant see it easily, but if you look closely at the rear of the water in the bowl you can see a slight rippling of the water surface. That means it's  leaking.

Its an old style toilet tank, it does have a brick or somethink inside, so it uses less water.

But I am beginning to to think its just high usage. An old guy that lives opposite me never puts his lights on, whereas we do have lights on, energy saving ones.

Yorshire Water are sending me a water saving kit, it includes gadgets, not sure what they will be. I am going to record the meter readings when no water is being used, to see if it changes.

The water saving kits are a waste of time for most people. I bet a good percentage go straight in the bin, or end in a cupboard, never used. Sending them out in this manner is not very well thought through, it's very wasteful. If people want to save water they just need to check for leaks, and assess their habits.

Fittings (to reduce flow) that are useless for electric showers and traditional taps, and a plastic bag of gunk which goes in a cistern - (adjusting the level valve, or an old plastic bottle of water does the same thing with no risk of clogging up your cistern with water absorbing gunk). It also has a side effect of causing the toilet to not flush as well, so you end up flushing 2 or 3 times, undermining the whole point.

Edited by fools