358 Photos Of Old Sheffield

Janus

Happy Daze and plenty of memories.

Hutcliffe Wood Rd chippy,

Millhouses boating lake,

Beauchief Gdns,

(Beauchief; totally unpronounceable by my mate from Barnsley 🤣 ). 

Wiremill,

Stepping stones at Endcliffe,

Botanical Gdns (Especially the fish pond).

Grand hotel,

Canal basin,

Goodwin fountain (the old one - the one we've all been in, drunk, at some-point :rolleyes: ).

Totally agree about the old Peace Gdns.

Why were the run of wooden bus shelters on Pinstone St not kept / restored moved somewhere else ?

They were as bigger part of Sheffield as Sheffield Steel 8).

Love these old photo's although most of the time I'm looking at the cars in't carparks etc  🧐 .

Keep safe 8) .

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Happy Daze and plenty of memories.

Hutcliffe Wood Rd chippy,

Millhouses boating lake,

Beauchief Gdns,

(Beauchief; totally unpronounceable by my mate from Barnsley 🤣 ). 

Wiremill,

Stepping stones at Endcliffe,

Botanical Gdns (Especially the fish pond).

Grand hotel,

Canal basin,

Goodwin fountain (the old one - the one we've all been in, drunk, at some-point :rolleyes: ).

Totally agree about the old Peace Gdns.

Why were the run of wooden bus shelters on Pinstone St not kept / restored moved somewhere else ?

They were as bigger part of Sheffield as Sheffield Steel 8).

Love these old photo's although most of the time I'm looking at the cars in't carparks etc  🧐 .

Keep safe 8) .

RE: Millhouses boating lake,

Lake...........?? Pond at best.

Was there only last week with The Beloved and A Grandchild. The tide was out......

IvYgX2B.jpg

RE: (Beauchief; totally unpronounceable by my mate from Barnsley 🤣 ). 

In fairness, I'm Sheffield born & bred and I didn't know how to pronounce it either till it was pointed out to me. Why would anyone know if they don't live around there or have mates or family in the area? Ridiculous word. 

RE: Botanical Gdns (Especially the fish pond).

Can the scumbag who nicked the parrots please return them? I miss 'em.

Great photos. Thanks for posting. Having been brought up on the Lowedges estate I found the ariel photo of St Peter's Church (c. 1965) very interesting. 

The photo seems to have been taken from the (now disappeared) 13 storey flats. 

It is taken before the Greenhill Parkway was constructed.

I wonder if those planners when they were devising the Greenhill Parkway would have thought that 6 decades later there would be regular traffic issues just half a mile down the road at 4 lane ends now the Meadowhead roundabout. 

2 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Was there only last week with The Beloved and A Grandchild. The tide was out......

IvYgX2B.jpg

In fairness, I'm Sheffield born & bred and I didn't know how to pronounce it either till it was pointed out to me. Why would anyone know if they don't live around there or have mates or family in the area? Ridiculous word. 

Simple enough, Beechiff

(Pronounced Leicester, Lol)

Edited by trastrick

52 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

IvYgX2B.jpg

Felt like a bloody lake when as kids you were trying to paddle the boats back 🥴 🥵 :blush: .

Not Sheffield born but moved to  Beauchief :lol: .

My Gran had a goldfish that outgrew its bowl and was taken to the pond at Botanical Gardens. We always joked that any of the goldfish there now could be decedent's  :lol: .

As for the Parrots my Mam would have happily have wrung one of them's necks. it had a definite vendetta against her, we thought it was funny when the thing was pinching her buttons or tugging at her earrings (and worse) :hihi: :blush: :hihi: .  

One final word on Millhouses boating lake.

Found one of the paddle boats many years ago in the river Sheaf at Cromford Street (Queens Rd) the mind boggles :suspect:. Did it find its way all the way from Millhouses ? knowing the lads at Cromford there's a good chance it was in fact paddled / manhandled there 🧐

Stay safe 8)