Sheffield Schools : Inconsistent (Unfair ? ) provision of swimming lessons.

Chekhov

11 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Parents should teach them then.

Basic mandatory education is one thing but do schools really have to be expected to teach every single basic life skill now.  In times of change, the demands on schools have hugely increased, the numbers of pupils have gone up, the special needs and other support requirement have changed, the necessary curriculum and skills required for the evolving workplace has changed...  Personally I think there should be far better things that's school resource be spent on than swimming.

Oh no, of course, silly me, that involves responsibility for one's own children. That simply won't do this day and age.

So why is it in the national curriculum then ?

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Been there. Done that. Hell yes I've shouted my lungs out for my little girl. Mind you her chosen sport is rather physical so........ 

Look, tell me to mind my own business but you [Steve68] appear to have a grudge against Chekhov. Am I right? 

I think Steve68 has issues TD.

Edited by Chekhov

I think most of us have issues or we wouldn’t waste so much time on here.

You can freely  vent your feelings without kicking the cat.

But there is one person who seems to have more rage within him than anyone else which cannot be healthy for him or those who have the misfortune to deal with him on a personal level.

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

But there is one person who seems to have more rage within him than anyone else which cannot be healthy for him or those who have the misfortune to deal with him on a personal level.

I don't go in for online stalking, and not just different threads on this forum, but other forums. I have never known it before, there are obviously some creepy people out there.....

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

I think most of us have issues or we wouldn’t waste so much time on here.

On that we can agree.....

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

there are obviously some creepy people out there.....

That is 2 things that we agree on.

On the subject in question I don’t know what policies different schools have on swimming lessons.

When I was in Junior school we did have one year of swimming from school which I think took up most of one afternoon a week with a one hour session plus the public bus service to and from the baths.

My lads never went from their school in the 1980s So we took them for Saturday morning sessions at Hillsborough.

Has it always been dependant on individual schools

With the privatisation of some schools into 'Academies' there is no longer the uniformity we used to have under the old Sheffield Education Auhority system, so it's a bit of a free for all.

Schools now control their own budgets and have to buy in the services that used to be provided by the authorities. That will include swimming provision, (the baths, transport, instructors, time etc,) so it will vary from school to school depending on their budget and what they decide to prioritise. 

No doubt the budget will be tight with not enough money to cover everything, (it never is,) so the school may have to rely on things like fund raising to make up the defecit, or charging parents for extras. (And the schools in wealthier areas do better at this.)

It's interesting to note that government education funding per child, is far lower in the North than it is down South. And that shows up in the national results where southern schools generally do better than Northern schools. There is a belt of underachievement stretching right across the North from Liverpool to Hull.

The South has also maintained something of a school system that has many more Grammar Schools than can be found in the North.

So much for levelling up.

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

With the privatisation of some schools into 'Academies' there is no longer the uniformity we used to have under the old Sheffield Education Auhority system, so it's a bit of a free for all.

Schools now control their own budgets and have to buy in the services that used to be provided by the authorities. That will include swimming provision, (the baths, transport, instructors, time etc,) so it will vary from school to school depending on their budget and what they decide to prioritise. 

It isn't a free for all. The National Curriculum is perfectly clear:

"All schools must provide swimming instruction either in key stage 1 or key stage 2.

In particular, pupils should be taught to:

swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres

use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]

perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations"

Having said that, most parents could, and should teach their own kids to swim.

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, sibon said:

It isn't a free for all. The National Curriculum is perfectly clear:

"All schools must provide swimming instruction either in key stage 1 or key stage 2.

In particular, pupils should be taught to:

swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres

use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]

perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations"

Having said that, most parents could, and should teach their own kids to swim.

The curriculum is one thing, achieving what's on it, is another. That depends all sorts of indeterminate issues. 

However I would raise that with the school to find out what the problems are. Time and money are usually at the bottom of it.

Edited by Anna B