Ghost Hunting Groups

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

This. Do these people also believe in the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy?

I dont think its about that

I think that Religion and The Afterlife give people the comfort that you go to a special place when you die instead of just nothing 

People find it really hard to comprehend the ending of consciousness or they want to believe that their loved ones have gone to a better place.

The afterlife has served it purpose within religion that if your a good person then you'll go to heaven. Thats also a good way to control what people do when they are alive

Ricky Gervais said it best...." If you want to know what its like after you die then its exactly the same as before you were born" 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Try growing up and facing reality, ghosts do not exist, mediums ,afterlife and such has no real evidence.

GhostRiders has said s/he's a sceptic.

I know some groups have a tame sceptic on board, but the name gives the game away: ghost hunting.  You've already defined the subjectivity of the thing.  You're not looking objectively for the source of and explanation for the cold spot or sighting or funny feeling or whatever; you've already decided what you're looking for and that's a ghost.  

Psychology and neuroscience offer for more likely possibilities, but those aren't as exciting as larping as Venkman and co.

The work of the late Vic Tandy contributed to kickstarting my interest in the subject.  Can't believe he's been gone nearly twenty years.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

This. Do these people also believe in the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy?

People associate those things with childhood  fairytales; something to grow out of, especially when the people who told you the tales in the first place didn't actually believe them,  and will happily tell you as much once you're no longer 6.

If you have belief, you don't require evidence.  Or at least it makes it easy to reject the sort of evidence that fails to confirm your belief.

We used to believe that demon possession was the cause of much psychiatric illness. We used to drill holes in skulls to release the demons, or exorcise them.  We've moved on from that.  At least mostly.

We used to believe that sleep paralysis was caused by a demon, or witch or some other supernatural entity sitting on the sleeper's chest.  In that case, some have yet to move on at all; they've simply adapted the belief so this time it's due to aliens preparing for abduction. 

There's fascinating work out there starting to provide evidence for a neuroscientific basis for feelings of 'ghostly' presences, for example.  But because that's complicated, dull and multifaceted, and because scientists hate to say 'yes, I'm 100% certain I'm right', true believers of course reject it all in favour of something MR James wrote about in 1904.

On 27/01/2022 at 21:27, lottiecass said:

Try growing up and facing reality, ghosts do not exist, mediums ,afterlife and such has no real evidence.

I know. That's why I stated I was a well established Skeptic.

I have my own education content about skepticism, started an international podcast about skepticism, have appeared on a California based film podcast as a guest, talking about skepticism, regularly host a Chicago based call in show as a skeptic and host two roundtable shows, one from arguably the best known atheist network in the world (our main host has appeared on stage with the likes of Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris) about skepticism.

I think I'm justified in saying that I face reality.