The Decade The Rich Won.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I guess you are older like me, richer than some?

Old age Pension same as millions more , it is   well below the living wage and further down graded this year by not being in line with the cost of living rises , the tories knocked it back because they do not need it i presume .

12 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Old age Pension same as millions more , it is   well below the living wage and further down graded this year by not being in line with the cost of living rises , the tories knocked it back because they do not need it i presume .

The value of the pension is for another thread. My point is that its often richer people, feeling sorry for the poor.

When I was younger, I was poorer because of my own personal choices, like getting divorced.

My father lived in poor conditions, but he still managed to go to the pub every night. But then there were no benefits, no food banks and certainly no free food in the school holidays.

Todays generation get way more help than 30+ years ago, but yet people were much poorer back then.

On 25/01/2022 at 21:18, Anna B said:

If you want to know why we're in the mess we're in now, I suggest you watch this programme on now, or watch it on iplayer.

'THE  DECADE  THE RICH  WON.'    BBC2   9'0pm Tuesday 25th January 2022

There's no excuse for not knowing this stuff anymore.

Only read the first page and that was enough.

Posting just to point out the irony of the BBC lambasting the rich considering the salaries that it pays to it's presenters and that it's paid for off the backs of those who can ill-afford it. 

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The value of the pension is for another thread. My point is that its often richer people, feeling sorry for the poor.

When I was younger, I was poorer because of my own personal choices, like getting divorced.

My father lived in poor conditions, but he still managed to go to the pub every night. But then there were no benefits, no food banks and certainly no free food in the school holidays.

Todays generation get way more help than 30+ years ago, but yet people were much poorer back then.

Perhaps they did not need as much back then , I grew up in the fourties and fifty's , no car, tv, computor or holidays  , today people take these things for granted ,  Take kids at school if they don't have a fancy phone or a top pair of trainers they are picked on and laughed  at, these poorer kids don't know why Shane or Chelsea on the posh estate have got it all and they have not .

As to going to the pub every night ,well around here its £4 a pint and some places more a old age pension would soon have a hole in it if one supped three or four a night .

Edited by cuttsie

On 25/01/2022 at 21:18, Anna B said:

If you want to know why we're in the mess we're in now, I suggest you watch this programme on now, or watch it on iplayer.

'THE  DECADE  THE RICH  WON.'    BBC2   9'0pm Tuesday 25th January 2022

There's no excuse for not knowing this stuff anymore.

Wow !  watched it tonight Anna, certainly makes you think dunnit.

On 01/02/2022 at 22:09, Padders said:

Wow !  watched it tonight Anna, certainly makes you think dunnit.

Can you believe it, I missed the second part Padders. I'll have to catch it up on iplayer or some such. But I'm glad you took time to watch it. Eye opener eh?

A pity not everyone is interested. It's affecting everyone's lives, they don't realise how much.  

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Can you believe it, I missed the second part Padders. I'll have to catch it up on iplayer or some such. But I'm glad you took time to watch it. Eye opener eh?

A pity not everyone is interested. It's affecting everyone's lives, they don't realise how much.  

I didn't watch it and cant because I don't have a TV so can you sum it up at all?

23 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I didn't watch it and cant because I don't have a TV so can you sum it up at all?

Blah blah evil corporations... Blah blah out of touch Tories.... Blah blah hate the bankers and wealthy people....   blah blah neoliberalism to blame.....

On 25/01/2022 at 22:07, hackey lad said:

Thats cool Anna . I just get fed up at reading  lots of threads on here where you shoehorn in your political views . Nothing is sacred 

tbf clicking on this thread youre bound to know what it would be with the thread title and poster lol