A Question For Conservative Voters?

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

I thought parties such as Ukip and the Brexit party when Farage was leader did put pressure on Government to look at their policies. I’m not sure if we would have had a vote on leaving the EU if it wasn’t for Farage.  So who’s to say Reform UK can’t do the same.  The trouble is not many people know who Richard Tice is.  He needs more media coverage to talk about his policies. If they prove popular with the people then it might make government think twice about changes to their manifesto.

I think Conservatives are aware of who REFORM UK is and anyone who listens/watches TalkRadio knows who Richard Tice is

I dont expect them to win anything at the next election but these things take time

The UK needs an alternative conservative party....Rome wasnt built in a day

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

You would be wasting your vote by voting for Reform UK.  

There is no such thing as a wasted vote. Sometimes you have to do something against the grain to get some momentum going. Voting for minority parties falls into this category.

Reform UK aren't my thing. But voting for them is a legitimate, democratic response to the poor choices we have got from the mainstream parties.

Maybe you just don't like democracy.    

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You make a fair point.  I'm wrong to say any vote is wasted.  I supported the aim of UKIP but never voted for them in a general election.  The vast majority of UKIP supporters also never voted for them in a general election.  The truth is parties like UKIP and Reform UK can only prevent one of the major parties winning a seat in a general election because they have no chance of winning the seat.  In my opinion it's better to choose a candidate from one of the major parties in a general election rather than vote  for a political party who have no chance of winning any seats.

The trouble is, at the moment, both main parties are pretty dysfunctional. So I'm not surprised by anyone who thinks of voting for a minority party.

We can t possibly carry on with this shambolic Johnson government. I'm not convinced by Starmer either. So, what do you do?

Just now, sibon said:

The trouble is, at the moment, both main parties are pretty dysfunctional. So I'm not surprised by anyone who thinks of voting for a minority party.

We can t possibly carry on with this shambolic Johnson government. I'm not convinced by Starmer either. So, what do you do?

We need more parties in the UK so we have to start somewhere

Im surprised that Corbynistas havent formed a new party with Momentum yet

Maybe they know deep down that splitting the labour vote even further would just give The Tories more power

3 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

We need more parties in the UK so we have to start somewhere

Im surprised that Corbynistas havent formed a new party with Momentum yet

Maybe they know deep down that splitting the labour vote even further would just give The Tories more power

That is one of the problems. FPP encourages big parties with a wide range of philosophies.

Behind all of the partygate drama at the moment is a struggle for the soul of the Conservative Party. It is currently being run as an ultra nationalist branch of UKIP. There must be thousands of members up and down the country who are unhappy with that. There are clearly many backbench MPs trying their best to change that.

To get more choice requires more parties. That, in turn requires electoral reform. That will take quite some time.  

56 minutes ago, sibon said:

It is currently being run as an ultra nationalist branch of UKIP. 

Im not sure where your getting that from

This has to be the most left wing Tory government in history

I think that must be down to anyone who isnt far left being categorized as far right

When in reality most conservatives are liberal 

Edited by Jack Grey

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

If my late grandfather had been standing for any position of power I would have voted for him, not because I thought him capable of power, just because I considered him to be the most decent man I had/have ever known.

That is very good, but if he was a Conservative we would have exactly the same policies, that is down to Boris Johnson as their leader.

If he was Labour, little difference there too. A good man/woman can make a slight difference locally.

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Im not sure where your getting that from

This has to be the most left wing Tory government in history

I think that must be down to anyone who isnt far left being categorized as far right

When in reality most conservatives are liberal 

Most folk that I know, including myself aren’t supporters of any particular party, they just vote for one of them and have changed their targets as the mood takes them. I’m currently not in a voting mood, if not voting was against the law I would turn up and spoil my paper.