Croft Road Cottages

nimschol

Some of Mr Crouch's memories are recorded by Pauline Shearstone in her book "Gleadless from Village To Suburb".  His memories are on pages 125 to 130 of the edition which I own.

He was born in the cottage kitchen on Croft Rd in 1896, his family having occupied the premises for many generations.  The ceilings were so low that you could reach up & touch them.

His recollections include working at Woodthorpe Pit & his life in general.

There are a few photos of the old cottages on the Picture Sheffield website I believe.

• 10 months later...

My family also came from the Croft.  My Grandparents (Marples) lived at 33 and the Dawsons and Drabbles were also my family.

My late Uncle George Marples compiled a list of all the names of the people who lived in that area. Next door to your family (Crouch) were the Hardwickes, then I think it says Greggs, Pashleys, Harding, Harding, Fowler and Ratcliffe.  I can send you a copy of the full list if you would like. Did your relative play cricket for Hollinsend chapel?  Our family were 'big cricketers' and I wondered if I had heard the name in connection with the chapel team. If so Hollisend Cricket club compiled a book about the history. There will be information on their website about this. Good luck with your research.