Energy Price Cap-What Are People's Thoughts?

The energy regulator's price cap is to be announced shortly. I'm thinking that if the unit rate is set extremely high,  then even using only a relatively  small amount of gas is likely to be expensive.

The media are using phrases like, "likely to add hundreds of pounds on to the anual bill".

I wonder if the gov are going to temporarily remove the vat until the price comes back down? 🐷🐖🐽

If this supply issue and the Russian shenanigans with Ukraine do not prompt governments (including the UK's) to accelerate the transition to renewables then what hope is there really? There is dirt cheap, clean, reliable and secure energy there just waiting to be tapped and solve these problems - get on with it!

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Word is that Dishy Rishi is about to give everyone in Bands A-D a council tax rebate and also knock £200 off the energy bills of everyone.

Yup just announced. Doing it as a flat £200 to everyone is bizarre, some people are on historic cheap fixes, others use a lot more.

Just now, Delbow said:

What if you're reliant on council tax support already, doesn't that mean you'll be relatively worse off because you'll get no rebate?

I read it as being an extra for EVERYONE in Bands A-D, so again its an odd decision, people who already get discounts will probably get another £150 on top, rather than a percentage off the existing bill.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I read it as being an extra for EVERYONE in Bands A-D, so again its an odd decision, people who already get discounts will probably get another £150 on top, rather than a percentage off the existing bill.

A credit? That would be helpful. 

Just now, Delbow said:

A credit? That would be helpful. 

If your bill is currently £1600pa, that goes to £1450pa

If you get 25% off for Single Person Occupancy and your bill is currently £1200pa, that goes to £1050pa

If you already get various rebates and credits and your bill is currently £300pa, that goes to £150pa

Thats how I read it, anyway. Obviously they will be going up a few percent in April but you get what I mean.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, West 77 said:

A logical decision given that homeowners in bands above D are more likely to earn more money that the people who live in Bands A-D properties.

I doubt doubt that, what I do doubt is the blanket £150 to everyone,it should be percentage based.

Just now, West 77 said:

However, it's only fair to point that the move to renewable energy is one reason why energy bills have risen in the UK in recent years.

Is that actually true though? Evidence please. Even if it is true, recouping some of the cost through energy bills is a political choice. The UK taxes North Sea oil at one sixth of Norway's rate - there is absolutely no reason that the money for transitioning to renewables can't be got through aligning tax rates with Norway.