Energy Price Cap-What Are People's Thoughts?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I have just gone to the MoneySupermarket to compare energy prices. The cheapest one is £157 per month, fixed for 12 moths. Sainsburys energy was £168 fixed for 2 years. I pay £108 per month.

Martin Lewis said not to fix, I dont want to fix at those prices.

Prices may come down in 6+ months, I believe that is what he is thinking.

I'd already twigged not to 'fix' and I've heard Mr Lewis say the same thing twice since.

His reasoning and advice is good enough for me.

Keep safe out there 8) .

The principle reason not to fix is, the fixes available currently are double the current cap.

The exit fee is neither here nor there when you are paying thousands of pounds per year. A tariff with no exit fee is going to have higher unit costs to compensate.

Nobody knows what the prices are going to be in 6 mths time, but the cap is likely to be higher than those announced from April.

37 minutes ago, fools said:

The principle reason not to fix is, the fixes available currently are double the current cap.

The exit fee is neither here nor there when you are paying thousands of pounds per year. A tariff with no exit fee is going to have higher unit costs to compensate.

Nobody knows what the prices are going to be in 6 mths time, but the cap is likely to be higher than those announced from April.

I found a deal which i liked (fixed for 12 months) with no exit fees..........So i signed up

I didnt say sign up to an expensive deal thats twice as much because its fixed with no exit fees 🙄

11 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I found a deal which i liked (fixed for 12 months) with no exit fees..........So i signed up

I didnt say sign up to an expensive deal thats twice as much because its fixed with no exit fees 🙄

You like it so OK.

I'll wager that you are paying more than you currently need to.

35 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You answered someone today (suggesting they fix) who already said that the cheapest deal they could find was significantly higher than what they are currently paying. Then posted a link to a site who's cheapest deal is about double (depending on use) the current cap.

There are no good deals available, that's the point. The fixes are more expensive than the cap

Exit fees are a psychological trick to persuade people not to move to cheaper deals, even if it makes financial sense to do so.

Edited by fools