Energy Price Cap-What Are People's Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Maybe the solution to the energy crisis is to have power cuts after 8.00pm to all private houses.  It would certainly reduce electric bills.

I remember the power cuts of the 70s due to the miners  striking. I was  a kid then and it was fun going around unlit streets with torches.

These days, sitting with candles  in  partly lit rooms would not be a problem. I'd  have to watch the telly in the dark though.

1 minute ago, Janus said:

I remember the power cuts of the 70s due to the miners  striking. I was  a kid then and it was fun going around unlit streets with torches.

These days, sitting with candles  in  partly lit rooms would not be a problem. I'd  have to watch the telly in the dark though.

I understand the joke - but.

Why would anyone want to watch the telly with the light on :huh: .

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Buy a log burner if you can afford one.....you'll save a fortune on heating bills 👍

Only if you gather your own wood, which is not advisable because it will generate more smoke.

Get solar panels, free for some.

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Buy a log burner if you can afford one.....you'll save a fortune on heating bills 👍

Log burner.... Check. 

Logs... Check. 

Gas bottles.... Check.. 

Charcoal.... Check 

Coal.... Check. 

All bought in early 2021.. Just in case. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Log burner.... Check. 

Logs... Check. 

Gas bottles.... Check.. 

Charcoal.... Check 

Coal.... Check. 

All bought in early 2021.. Just in case. 

Damn right......its time to prepare for Doomsday

Stock up on water, tinned food and torch batteries

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

How does that work? I not heard of that unless you are in a care home. 

If you are a pensioner living on just a state pension and council housed you dont pay rent or council tax as its means tested. At the higher rate of state pension you would receive around £9339.20 PA which is classed as a low income. When people also get additional work related pensions then that is added to the state one for claiming means tested benefits. Claiming pension credits also changes things.

2 hours ago, fools said:

A single pensioner with some meagre savings earning nothing in interest is going to get their whole state pension swallowed up with council tax and heating costs.

Not necessarily as I have explained above.

Edited by Dromedary

3 hours ago, Janus said:

Is your telly battery operated. :hihi:

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Damn right......its time to prepare for Doomsday

Stock up on water, tinned food and torch batteries

Agreed. I've also stocked up on dried goods, jarred and picked stuff, cerials and some sugary stuff like sweets and chocolate. Also coffee, tea bags, powdered milk etc. 

And like I say, even if the stuff isn't needed for any kind of emergency we just use it through the year in the knowledge we are pretty much untouched by the food price hikes.